You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Render of ARW images for panorama is not as good as Develop Persona

Would like to recommend that we add Developed images straight to the Panorama module rather than having to Develop and Export as a TIF because the RAW rendering of images for a panorama is not as good as the Develop Persona.

Area rendered by Panorama:

image.thumb.png.2a58055314a18f9967d28fd47c42755e.png

Same area rendered by Develop Module:

image.thumb.png.b3cecc809359b07e8b7d6ede96a5d451.png

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

50 minutes ago, AiDon said:

Would like to recommend that we add Developed images straight to the Panorama module rather than having to Develop and Export as a TIF because the RAW rendering of images for a panorama is not as good as the Develop Persona.

At this point the only methods of using RAW images that use the full Develop process (including the Assistant options such as applying a Tone Curve) are: File > Open, and (only since 1.8.0) File > New Batch Job. All other uses of RAW images in Photo, and any use of them outside of Photo, use an abbreviated process that is likely to give inferior results. This is possibly due to the missing Tone Curve from the Develop Assistant.

But in any case, if you were to use RAW images in a panorama you would lose some of the advantages of manual editing you can perform in the Develop Persona. Although you can take the Panorama into the Develop Persona later to get access to its tools, some operate differently when they are not being used on RAW images. So even if the Develop Assistant were used when putting RAW images into a panorama, you are likely to see a less effective use of the Develop Persona if you try to put the panorama through it, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt, sure I understand but i also remember from CS6 we could add open files to the Panorama or HDR modules. Seems a reasonable expectation because of the inability to be able to process RAW images to a suitable level before using those modules.

Regards, Don

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Sorry; I may have misunderstood your suggestion. You're asking to add images to a panorama from the Develop Persona? That is, you would Open the RAW file, Develop it, and add it to the Panorama from the Photo Persona?

I'm sure that has been requested before.

(By the way, Serif prefers that requests for new features be posted in the Feature Requests forum, not one of the beta forums. The beta forums are for comments on the new functionality implemented in the betas, or comments about new problems introduced in the betas.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

No, what I am suggesting is that we be able to use images already open in the Photo Persona, doesn't matter where they come from, as input to any File-> New ... Process (except Batch) because the images have already been processed. There are also limitations such as afphoto images cannot be used to those processes.

Basically I don't see it as a new feature as the images are already open and they can be processed in any Persona so why not any other process that is part of AP as the fact is that you can open RAW images in those processes but those images are not processed in the same way as Develop Persona.

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

@AiDon
my workflow:

I use ROMM as working profile.
When stitching a panorama, Photo adds an unwanted colorshift towards cyan - as it can be seen in your Screenshot of the sky.
Someone in this forum told me, that the Pano-Tool of Photo does ASSIGN the working-Profile to the finished panorama, but does not CONVERT the image to the working-Profile.

Since I know that, I do the following:
- I open all JPEGs / RAWs in Photo.
- because of my Photo-settings, all JPEG-Images are converted to the ROMM-Profile. Since this profile is "larger" than the JPEG-Contents, no color-change happens.  RAWs are developed to ROMM.
- then I export all Images as 32 Bit ROMM TIFFs.
- then I create the Pano with those TIFFs
result: fine.

edit:
changed
"Someone in this forum told me, that the Pano-Tool of Photo does ASSIGN the ROMM-Profile to the finished panorama, but does not CONVERT the image to ROMM."
to
"Someone in this forum told me, that the Pano-Tool of Photo does ASSIGN the working-Profile to the finished panorama, but does not CONVERT the image to the working-Profile."

3 hours ago, Fritz_H said:

@AiDon
my workflow:

I use ROMM as working profile.
When stitching a panorama, Photo adds an unwanted colorshift towards cyan - as it can be seen in your Screenshot of the sky.
Someone in this forum told me, that the Pano-Tool of Photo does ASSIGN the ROMM-Profile to the finished panorama, but does not CONVERT the image to ROMM.

Since I know that, I do the following:
- I open all JPEGs / RAWs in Photo.
- because of my Photo-settings, all JPEG-Images are converted to the ROMM-Profile. Since this profile is "larger" than the JPEG-Contents, no color-change happens.  RAWs are developed to ROMM.
- then I export all Images as 32 Bit ROMM TIFFs.
- then I create the Pano with those TIFFs
result: fine.

Sounds like a lot of trouble for a simple function.

As I mentioned in the post I can Develop to TIFFs and use them.

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

7 hours ago, AiDon said:

Sounds like a lot of trouble for a simple function.

As I mentioned in the post I can Develop to TIFFs and use them.

well, that´s in fact the same which I do - I just added some explanation about the conversion to another Color-Profile (ROMM RGB)...

I do this to make sure that elements like e.g. the sky have enough "color-space" available during stitching to avoid color-clipping.

1 hour ago, Fritz_H said:

another Color-Profile (ROMM RGB)...

That is exactly the same color space as ProPhotoRGB ...

PC2 HP Pavilion - 

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.