You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font choice for a logo design question

Hello,

I'm working on fixing a logo for a client. Unfortunately, when the logo is shrunk to around 150px for use on his website, the text around the circle becomes muddy. The larger version on print signage seems suitable. Does anyone have a recommendation for a font that might be crisper for the text in the circle ("Area Real Estate Advisors Knowledge & Expertise") for when the logo is reduced in size. I just think it appears a bit muddy/fuzzy when the logo is used on the client's website.

Thank you so much for any suggestions. I have attached both the working file and an example of the logo at 150px.

Chris

AREA_150px_logo.png

AREA_AFFINITY_Hi_Res_MASTER-2003-PDF.afdesign

I don’t think the font is at fault here. To me, the background to the text is too ‘fussy’.
Using text that small, no matter which font you use, will always be tricky, so giving it a background which makes it more difficult to read won’t help.
Has the client asked for that background?
I can’t even tell whether it’s supposed to say anything to me at such a small size. In other words, does the background add enough to the design that makes the text less readable a good thing?

Does the text need to be black? It might be easier to read in white.
Having said that, there might be complications or extra costs in having to register two different logos (with different colours).
The only other thing I can advise at this time is to use a font with wider characters, but that might not make much difference.

Is there any reason why they want to use the logo, in this configuration, when it’s so small?
The inner circle containing the “A” shape might be better by itself for use at such a small size (as long as it’s not too similar to another logo; it looks similar to something I remember but can’t put my finger on – maybe something to do with books?).

Also, have they thought about how the logo will be printed? Unless they are doing full-colour printing each time, or getting colour stationary printed, then a black-only version may be necessary.

I actually created several logos for him explaining this. But at the end, he chose the copper and had his cards, signs, etc. printed with a copper foil.  The issue with the shrunken version is to use for his website. Maybe I can remove the wording and just have the A in the circle, maybe put the text somewhere else for the website purpose. I appreciate your suggestions. Clients can be picky. You can explain to them why something won't work, but sometimes they want what they want.

If it’s just for a website then it might be okay as it is.
It’s not massively difficult to read and I doubt people will be looking at it much if the content of the site is useful/interesting.
Could be worth creating some mock-up pages and seeing how it looks; it might not be a problem after all.
A quick screen-grab from similar company’s site and a bit of quick photo manipulation may give you an idea of how it could work in practice.

My 2-cents worth. I'm not an expert like my esteemed forum collegue Garry, but...

When I look at the text circle, it seems to me that the text has a narrow white shadow behind it.
That in itself is strengthening the fuzziness : e.g. the outlines are not sharp to start with and the smaller
the scale, the more fuzzy the text will show.
Have you tried to just use black text without the shadow ?
Or am I putting my foot in it ???
Best of luck, C.L.

2 hours ago, chriscaldwell said:

Clients can be picky. You can explain to them why something won't work, but sometimes they want what they want.

Reminds me of this:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 hours ago, catlover said:

My 2-cents worth. I'm not an expert like my esteemed forum collegue Garry, but...

When I look at the text circle, it seems to me that the text has a narrow white shadow behind it.
That in itself is strengthening the fuzziness : e.g. the outlines are not sharp to start with and the smaller
the scale, the more fuzzy the text will show.
Have you tried to just use black text without the shadow ?
Or am I putting my foot in it ???
Best of luck, C.L.

Hi Catlover!

Thank you so much for this suggestion. I took your suggestion and think it does look better. I have attached the updated Affinity Designer file as well as a small .png. I think it makes a difference in clarity, no?

AREA-150px_093020.png

AREA-Master-Logo_93020.afdesign

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

If it’s just for a website then it might be okay as it is.
It’s not massively difficult to read and I doubt people will be looking at it much if the content of the site is useful/interesting.
Could be worth creating some mock-up pages and seeing how it looks; it might not be a problem after all.
A quick screen-grab from similar company’s site and a bit of quick photo manipulation may give you an idea of how it could work in practice.

Thanks again, GarryP. I just cleaned it up a bit by removing some effects per CatLover, and I think you are probably right that it's okay as it is for the website logo.

18 hours ago, chriscaldwell said:

Maybe I can remove the wording and just have the A in the circle, maybe put the text somewhere else for the website purpose.

Indeed, why not having different logo variants for different usage  –>  Wouldn't the full company name (have to) appear as text on the site anyway?

23 hours ago, chriscaldwell said:

Clients can be picky. You can explain to them why something won't work, but sometimes they want what they want.

Or how about simply darkening the text on the image to give it a nice deep, vibrant, bright blowing black – without lightening it, of course...

Client: Is there any way we can make that element more black?”.

Designer: It’s #000000. So no.

Client: There isn’t a darker black?

Designer: That’s absolute black. There is literally nothing I can do to make it darker.

Client: You’re just not trying hard enough!

... and more weird dialogs of the  https://clientsfromhell.net/client-is-there-any-way-we-can-make-that/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Comedy aside, this topic also reminds me of something else: in any industry the hardest part of the job often is explaining in language the client can understand why something is infeasible or impossible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Comedy aside, this topic also reminds me of something else: in any industry the hardest part of the job often is explaining in language the client can understand why something is infeasible or impossible.

I have had variations of this conversation pretty much in every industry I have worked.

Me: We cannot do that, it is impossible.

Him: Good, so we can do it. (his emphasis) [Walks away happy.]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, thomaso said:

Indeed, why not having different logo variants for different usage  –>  Wouldn't the full company name (have to) appear as text on the site anyway?

Or how about simply darkening the text on the image to give it a nice deep, vibrant, bright blowing black – without lightening it, of course...

Client: Is there any way we can make that element more black?”.

Designer: It’s #000000. So no.

Client: There isn’t a darker black?

Designer: That’s absolute black. There is literally nothing I can do to make it darker.

Client: You’re just not trying hard enough!

... and more weird dialogs of the  https://clientsfromhell.net/client-is-there-any-way-we-can-make-that/

I've finally convinced the client to use a different variant for his site. Thank you, thomaso.

19 minutes ago, chriscaldwell said:

The ironic thing about that Lagarto, is that in the original post regarding this project, there IS a misspelling in the logo and I didn't catch it until now.

Thank you for sharing that piece of ‘knowlege’. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)