You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image Viewer

I´m currently again searching for an image viewer for Mac.

I still have Bridge which is fine but I will cancel Adobe CC subscription at the end of the year.

With LilleG I talked about PhaseOne MediaPro (thanks for the nice explanations!) which would probably do the job but is not really cheap, and it won´t get any data handling benefits with the other Affinity products as an Affinity viewer could....I could also buy Lightroom as well but that´s not really where I want to spend my money right...

I took a look at the following products:

Lyn 

- it looks promising, but when I downloaded the test version, the preview has a lag of 1s for every picture (20mb jpg) which is just really annoying in my opinion (checked the same folder with bridge and it was fast as expected)

Xee

- even cheaper and even less functions but would have been totally ok with that at the moment

- BUT preview is still not fast, it´s faster than Lyn but get´s a short spinning wheel every two pictures and that really interrupts going though the pictures

Picasa

- ...would be an option and I did a quick google search to check if my problem is valid:

- fullscreen viewing is only possible in presentation mode, but you can´t delete pictures in presentation mode 

lOS X build in Viewer

- in list view you can go through the pictures with the arrow keys and also delete them but it´s not fullscreen

Affinity Photo Viewer 

- well, I don´t have any use for these thumbnail views at all, currently opening pictures from my folder structure (the preferred way would be - from a real Affinity viewer)

there has to be some appropriate software for these needs which does not have to be a huge DAM in the very first place...

So would´t it be possible to offer a proper image browser for mac? really .... "praying"  :blink:  -_- :wacko:

EDIT:

Apple Photos/ iPhoto

- the last place where I would want to store more than 200 pictures, just way inflexible file system IMO

Thank you for the recommendation, I downloaded the trial

I would say it´s as fast (or as slow) as Lyn.

But I can´t find a fullscreen mode anyway and the UI does not seem very responsive to me, when I scroll through the pictures or when changing the UI it get´s spinning wheels...

Unbound for Mac?

http://unboundformac.com

I downloaded the demo a few months ago but didn't have the time to properly test it out. What I did see, I liked, but I don't know if you need something more hefty or if it suits your needs.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

Unbound looks like Mavericks and has no trial but the reviews are mostly positive ..hm ....

I did not try it but I think I could work with Media Pro as well as with Lightroom. Especially Lightroom is not a bad software at all, I´ve seen many nice features. But that´s for two Macs 200-300€ right...

Nice little free app.

http://www.darktable.org

Ooh ! I'm going to try this one! Evtonic3, can you tell me if it's a « container » type application of the same kind as Aperture or iPhoto once I import my photos in it ? It tells me when I launch it that I need to import my images...

I'm not fond of container type applications, I'd rather keep control of my files.  

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

Ooh ! I'm going to try this one! Evtonic3, can you tell me if it's a « container » type application of the same kind as Aperture or iPhoto once I import my photos in it ? It tells me when I launch it that I need to import my images...

I'm not fond of container type applications, I'd rather keep control of my files.  

Not sure. I haven't been brave enough to move/copy  my library of photos. Whats fascinating about this app is that the developers are doing this in their spare time! and are not getting a dime for their work--pure passion for photography os what they say on their page.

Thanks for your reply. I read their user manual about the import thingy and they do not say if the files are duplicated or if they app only uses a kind of « alias » of the original file.

I just might pick up the courage to try it out.  ^_^

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

Ok. So I imported one photo that was lying around on my HD and that I haven't gotten around to burning on DVD yet and darktable creates an .xmp file which seems independent from the original file so I think it doesn't take hold of the photo itself. 

So according to my standards, it is safe for me to use as an image viewer/slideshow app  :P

The app seems to have image editing features but that will be handled by Affinity Photo and, when I needed something that AP can't do yet, I'll work on the file in Acorn.

EDIT : Seems a bit clunky to use. I went to the « Slideshow » tab and since it's a full sized image (4752 × 3168 pixels) I only see a part of the photo in the window and can't see how I can shrink the image to fit... Guess I'll read up some more the user manual. Unbound was by far much more user-friendly to handle.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D