You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Increase blur brush strength

You could try using the gaussian blur filter or live filter then mask out the bits that shouldn't be blurred?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

• Staff
19 hours ago, totjoss said:

No because it won't be a progressive blur, there'd be a "sharp" and "fixed blur" with alpha transition.

Perhaps lower the Hardness, Flow and Opacity of the brush to paint onto the Live Gaussian Blur mask layer, it should provide greater control.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

You possibly run into a known bug with the handling of the graphic processing "Metal" in macOS, with "Open GL" you might get more blur affect.

No this is not what I meant, and I'm using Windows. :)

4 hours ago, Lee D said:

Perhaps lower the Hardness, Flow and Opacity of the brush to paint onto the Live Gaussian Blur mask layer, it should provide greater control.

Well... no, attached to this message is a sample of what I mean and why your solution would not work :
- In Krita, the blur brush somehow spread more and more and the blur intensity is relative to the brush size, thus you have a great blur transition.
- I just realized that Photoshop is equal to Affinity in this situation : no matter how strong, how big and how often I use the brush, the blur intensity will remain the same.
- Your gaussian blur trick with alpha transition results to a very amateurish blur transition... And no I won't make multiple layers with different gaussian blur sizes on each, it would be damn complicated for nothing - I'd rather open Krita just for that effect and copy-paste it back into Affinity.

So it seems there isn't any solution to this ?

affinity-photo-blur.png

It's rather strange that a program such as Krita can boast a far more superior blur brush effect than its loftier competitors? It can't be that hard these days to emulate such behaviour.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

• 1 year later...

Oh god, another super basic feature that's missing. I've been trying to blur the edges of this mask for ages and it wasn't getting any more blurred. What even is the point in the blur brush if it can't blur anymore than like 4 pixels?!

• 1 month later...

I think the Blur Brush Tool is broken/buggy & has been for as long as I can remember. For one thing, there is no preview of the effect -- I just see an empty checkerboard pattern instead of the amount of blur I would get if I clicked to apply the brush. As it is, it does apply a blur, but it is just a very mild one that takes many strokes to have much of a visual effect, & after a few strokes it stops having any further effect.

It is easy to see that it is not working like the Sharpen Brush Tool.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, mick560 said:

I'm just amazed its still the same after all the comments I have seen on the internet about it.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of broken/buggy things in the Affinity apps competing for the attention of the developers. Some of them have been fixed in an update & then broken again in a later one as a byproduct of fixing something else. On top of that, at the same time they are trying to add new features (both user requested ones & ones they think users would like but have not specifically requested), which also can complicate fixing existing bugs & introduce new ones.

Yet another complication is that everything has to work without causing problems on three different platforms (Macs, Windows, iPads) & in each of the Affinity apps.

I think they are prioritizing all this as best as they can but inevitably it is not all going to happen as quickly as anybody would like, the developers included. :44_frowning2:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...