totjoss

Increase blur brush strength

Hello !

I'm using the blur brush tool but is there a way to increase/decrease it's strength (like increasing a gaussian blur size), because in 4K resolution it's too light. And of course I tried changing the brush size/flow/strength but even at 100% it's not enough.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You could try using the gaussian blur filter or live filter then mask out the bits that shouldn't be blurred?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

1 minute ago, AffinityJules said:

You could try using the gaussian blur filter or live filter then mask out the bits that shouldn't be blurred?

No because it won't be a progressive blur, there'd be a "sharp" and "fixed blur" with alpha transition.

19 hours ago, totjoss said:

No because it won't be a progressive blur, there'd be a "sharp" and "fixed blur" with alpha transition.

Perhaps lower the Hardness, Flow and Opacity of the brush to paint onto the Live Gaussian Blur mask layer, it should provide greater control.

You possibly run into a known bug with the handling of the graphic processing "Metal" in macOS, with "Open GL" you might get more blur affect.

macOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" + Eizo 27" // Affinity preferred in Separated Mode + Merged Windows

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

You possibly run into a known bug with the handling of the graphic processing "Metal" in macOS, with "Open GL" you might get more blur affect.

No this is not what I meant, and I'm using Windows. :)

4 hours ago, Lee D said:

Perhaps lower the Hardness, Flow and Opacity of the brush to paint onto the Live Gaussian Blur mask layer, it should provide greater control.

Well... no, attached to this message is a sample of what I mean and why your solution would not work :
- In Krita, the blur brush somehow spread more and more and the blur intensity is relative to the brush size, thus you have a great blur transition.
- I just realized that Photoshop is equal to Affinity in this situation : no matter how strong, how big and how often I use the brush, the blur intensity will remain the same.
- Your gaussian blur trick with alpha transition results to a very amateurish blur transition... And no I won't make multiple layers with different gaussian blur sizes on each, it would be damn complicated for nothing - I'd rather open Krita just for that effect and copy-paste it back into Affinity.

So it seems there isn't any solution to this ?

affinity-photo-blur.png

It's rather strange that a program such as Krita can boast a far more superior blur brush effect than its loftier competitors? It can't be that hard these days to emulate such behaviour.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

This tool should be improved indeed. I mean if you can't get a blur brush right? Sometimes you need the simplest tool to be efficient. Not add layers to create this effect.