You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot delete hyperlink

Update: I've worked out what the problem is and this is surely a bug. The contents list was just a simple one column table. When I inserted a new page into the document, I had to insert a new row in the contents table. Inserting the row copied the hyperlink, which seemed to have been attached to the cell, not the text in the cell. Of course, deleting the affected cell and trying to insert a new one doesn't help, because that still copies the hyperlink from the cell above. I've had to delete the whole table (which deleted all the hyperlinks, including the rogue one) and redo it.

I have a document of a mere 11 pages and have inserted a page hyperlink to each in a contents list on the first page. Simple, right? No.

I have one hyperlink that is set to go to page 10. When I right click the text in the contents list and Go to Target in Publisher, it goes to page 10. When I click on the hyperlink in the pdf, it goes to page 9. The page numbers, and therefore the hyperlinks, did change when a new page had to be inserted, but this particular hyperlink seems to have got stuck.

I have deleted and redone the hyperlink several times but it hasn't been fixed. So I opened the horribly glitchy Hyperlinks studio panel and can see 2 hyperlinks with the same name. I cannot delete the incorrect one (most of the time I can't even select it) and clicking on Go to Source so I can try and delete it from there does nothing. If I double click on the incorrect hyperlink and change the page number to 10, a new hyperlink to page 10 is created, but the hyperlink to page 9 is still there and is the one that the pdf uses.

Without being able to delete the incorrect hyperlink from the studio panel, or go to the source so I can delete it from there, I can find no way of removing it.

This document has to go to the client in the next couple of hours and I am at my wits end! Help!

Edited by SarahB
Updated with fix

• Staff

Hi Sarah B,

If possible could you share your document with us so we can investigate as to how this happened? If you would rather not post it publicly I can provide a link to our Dropbox for you :)

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

28 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Sarah B,

If possible could you share your document with us so we can investigate as to how this happened? If you would rather not post it publicly I can provide a link to our Dropbox for you :)

Thanks

C

@Callum I've already deleted the table, which deleted all the hyperlinks, so I'm not sure whether the document is of any use now?

I've just set up a dummy document with a table of 10 rows, text in each cell links to a different page. I inserted a row between rows 4 and 5 and the hyperlink for row 5 was automatically applied to the text I entered in that cell, although the hyperlink didn't show in the Hyperlinks studio. I could easily delete the hyperlink from the text and it didn't seem to get stuck.

• 9 months later...
5 minutes ago, Lecho said:

Ni, I have the same problem, cannot edit, delete hyperlink. Once you insert in, It's forever. None of the action would help. Annoying bug.

Can you upload a sample document with affected objects?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@Lecho, your .afpub opens to me with an "Hyperlink 1" applied to the text frame "www.banking-software.com" on the master page. It seems to be initially had a Page as target which doesn't exist any more and therefore displays no target assigned (red cross icon) and causes a preflight error (actually there are 2 Page target errors for any reason, which both disappear if I delete this text frame and do a preflight again). – Your PDF opens with an hyperlink also on this text but this does link to the website successfully.

In your .afpub I can assign a target + can delete they hyperlink by clicking the waste bin icon.
If I just type an URL (note: with http but w/o www) the style menu is grayed out. Possibly because this hyperlink initially had been a Page (not URL) link?
If I delete this hyperlink and create a new one with this URL then I may choose a style and the link gets named in the panel accordingly. An exported PDF works as expected. Does it work for you with the attached .afpub?

BankWare_Core_Banking_v7_URL.afpub   .   BankWare_Core_Banking_v7_URL.pdf

@Callum, so I assume here the "Hyperlink 1" got corrupted during various trials to configure it differently. Which, of course, should not happen or be allowed by the UI, at least not without an according message.

1. How it opened to me:

110772220_hyperlinkissue1.thumb.jpg.8cb135c61defdbe76420dd00d6d85903.jpg

2. I may assign an URL but style menu is grayed out:

2093462905_hyperlinkissue2.thumb.jpg.6b42eae6f57996b96db33486acb0388f.jpg

3. After deleting this link in the panel and creating a new one it works:

1173077142_hyperlinkissue3.thumb.jpg.96dd61430ecee0aa0b66a336d2fa4271.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1