You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Slow Saving makes this unusable

roguezink

What is going on with Publisher?

I have come back to it to do personal work and I'm having massive issues with a file just saving. It's slow to render and has made it impossible to use. 

Any help will be appreciated. The file I have is a file that I converted from an IDML. It's a file that is 55mb in publisher. It had many images (all linked now) in various formats like tif, pdf, jpeg, eps etc.

It must be with links to images as resource manager struggles to link files, I get the beach ball of death each time I link files, and sometimes it doesn't even accept the new linked file. My linked files are on a GDrive folder on my Mac, and all in the same folder.

I have tried to save the file numerous times and the 'Save' pop up shows, then nothing happens. The first time I saved this file after conversion, I had to come back to the file a day later - I just had to leave it.

I can't wait all day for it to save. Ive had to force quit several times as nothing is happening (Im sure it's just really struggling), but it's made this program unusable for me. Even after force quit, I can't reopen the software without shutting down. I can't even restart my Mac as AP wont quit properly.

I run an iMac 3,5GHz Quad Core i5, 8GB ram, 4GB graphics.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Spacebar, I've only just seen this. Im not happy uploading the doc unfortunately as it contains work I can't share.

I thought I'd sorted the issue as the doc setup was 600dpi. I changes it to 144dpi and reduced the spread sizes but the problem still exists.

Digging a little more sees the document use massive amounts of RAM. I increased my ram to the app giving it 16GB and the process of saving this doc ramped up to use it all. It's definitely a RAM issue, but why the document wants all that ram to save is unusual. the doc itself is only 61MB with all linked images. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not sure if anyone is able to help with this. I still get issues with the this one file. It was converted from an Indd, and its file size is only 73mb in Indesign, however in AFP it's 174mb.

It took 16 minutes to open the document this morning. It's a 92 page publisher doc (Now in 1.9), with a mix of images (jpeg, psd, eps) - some large at over 100mb, but all linked and all in the same location on my drive. It then takes several minutes to 'render' so I can use the document (otherwise its buffering and loading in all the time until it's seen all pages.

After this time the document is fine to use. The only other issue I do have then is when I save it for the first time after any edits. It takes ages to save - tens of minutes.

If anyone has any suggestion to what it might be I'd appreciate it. The doc whizzed around fine in Indesign, but I really want to move all my work to Publisher! Thanks in advance.