You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.5.703] Pen tool is overly sensitive, causes unwanted smooth points

I've came across this issue with the Pen Tool and stylus devices. If you try to draw straight lines with sharp nodes, very often you'll inadvertedly create smooth points instead. I've first noticed this on my Surface Pro 4, but I've also been able to replicate it on my desktop PC with very different hardware. At first I thought it was Windows Ink causing the issue since a similar bug was happening in previous versions, but switching to High Precision or Low Precision does not fix the issue.

The 'trick' seems to be the rhythm at which you lay down the points? This is easier to replicate on the Surface Pro and it's pen, or at least it happens more often, seems like a somewhat fast laying down of points trigger this more often? On the desktop seems to be the opposite, slow and deliberate points seem to convert to smooth more often. I also got the feeling the longer the program runs, the more likely it is to trigger unwanted smooth points.

Attached are videos showing the issue happening in both hardware / software combinations. There needs to be a higher 'dead zone' before sharp points transition to smooth points, otherwise it's a pain to deal with using the Pen Tool.

Thanks!

This first video is the Surface Pro 4 + Surface Pen + Windows Ink, while the second video is Desktop PC + Wacom Intuos + High Precision.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, haakoo said:

Only happens when I go really fast it may add a smooth node here and there.
Maybe the click speed in your tablet settings is wrong.

That's what happens to me. I'm unsure about what adds more smooth nodes, going really fast, or going really slow. I can try fiddle with the Wacom settings, but on the Surface where I first noticed this I can't do any tweaks. :( 

I know about the polygon mode, it's a pretty great idea/mode too. It would just be nice if the pen tool were not as sensitive as it is now, so we don't have to switch around as much.

That said, turns out this is not a Windows version bug... I've been able to replicate this on the iPad as well, so it's across all platforms. Essentially if you tap and lift the pen on the screen fast enough, you'll always get a sharp node, but if you tap and hold it just a few fractions of a second, you'll very likely get a smooth node. I suppose the Surface Pen is more prone to this as it's less responsive, or at least more 'mushy'? 

Knowing this enables me to replicate this issue, even with a mouse! All you need to do is click and hold, then even the slightest movement will make the node smooth instead of sharp. It can even be triggered without movement. Click and hold, then if the node location happens to be on a smart guide area like the center of the page, it will become a smooth point even though I have not moved the mouse.

As such, there is a bug across all platforms. The pen tool should only create smooth node if you move the mouse/pen device a significant amount of pixels in any direction. The amount of time you have the mouse button/pen tip down should not matter at all to decide if it's a smooth or sharp node.

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi LCamachDesign.
Pressing and holding the mouse does indeed create a smooth point even without movement however in practise this doesn't affect workflow unless you do it on purpose and delay the lift/release action a bit after clicking. In your second video you do seem to hold the click/press a bit more than necessary rather than simply click and let go.
I haven't experienced issues myself in normal use with a regular mouse, a surface mouse and a Wacom Intuos on macOS (i'm checking on Windows + Wacom as we speak) however i'm not able to test on a Surface device. I've asked a colleague to check this there to see if there's issues. On iPad, i agree we could delay the switch to a smooth node a bit as it's easy to inadvertently create smooth nodes while drawing. I'm passing this to the dev team for consideration and will get back to you as soon as i have some news. Thanks for your feedback/report.

7 hours ago, MEB said:

In your second video you do seem to hold the click/press a bit more than necessary rather than simply click and let go.

Yes, indeed. In normal work I wouldn't do it as slowly as in the video. I was testing as it felt this was what's causing the issue, and I guessed right.

7 hours ago, MEB said:

i'm not able to test on a Surface device

Yeah, I'd say the Surface is the worst offender here and the hardware is partially at fault. The pen is a bit... 'mushy'? It's hard to explain, I feel like it takes longer than the other pens to return to a 'zero pressure' state. Since it takes longer to return to neutral it gives more time to Affinity Designer to pick it up as cursor movement. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks!