You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Features for Fashion & Textiles

I have been using Illustrator professionally for the past 20 years and also educationally for the past 10, with a focus on Fashion Design and Technical Drawing. But much like everyone else on this forum I am utterly fed up with Adobe's systems and methods in recent years.

I am 100% ready to jump ship and never look back but there's just a couple of features that are stopping me....

1. Pattern Brushes
The Ability to turn any vector shape into a repeating pattern brush.
A feature commonly used to create stitching brushes in fashion design.

2. Brush Profiles
The ability to add a shape profile to a brush.

3. Image Tracing
The Ability to automatically trace a raster image and create a vector version.

4. Pattern Creation
The Ability to create a repeating pattern or print that can be saved as a swatch and used as a fill.

Add these 3 features in the next edition and I'll jump the Adobe ship bringing my 120 students with me 🙂
Please
Please
Please

Edited by ra.skill

- Yes please - 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 9/28/2020 at 11:21 PM, ra.skill said:

I have been using Illustrator professionally for the past 20 years and also educationally for the past 10, with a focus on Fashion Design and Technical Drawing. But much like everyone else on this forum I am utterly fed up with Adobe's systems and methods in recent years.

I am 100% ready to jump ship and never look back but there's just a couple of features that are stopping me....

1. Pattern Brushes

2. Brush Profiles

3. Image Tracing

4. Pattern Creation
The Ability to create a repeating pattern or print that can be saved as a swatch and used as a fill.

Add these 3 features in the next edition and I'll jump the Adobe ship bringing my 120 students with me 🙂
Please
Please
Please

In addition to the above I have another request.....

5. Offset Path Tool
A tool that automatically draws a path parallel to an existing path at a specified distance.

I absolutely need the ability to create a repeating pattern that can be saved as a swatch and used as a fill in order to adopt Affinity Designer.

In addition, I'd need the ability to bend the patterns and make them taper according to the 3-D perspective of the diagram.

I'm a geologist, and we like to use a brick pattern to indicate limestone.  The brick pattern should run parallel to the folded layers of rock, and it should taper if it is running along the side of a 3-D block diagram.  Examples may be seen here:  

03_blockdiagram.jpg

(This illustrator did not taper the blocks.  I'd like taper my blocks to maintain a sense of perspective.)

3 hours ago, CEJones said:

I absolutely need the ability to create a repeating pattern that can be saved as a swatch and used as a fill in order to adopt Affinity Designer. ...

Would be fine to have, but in it's current state you can only do workarounds via symbols and assets for creating pseudo patterns. See for example ...

The 3D-Block stuff with bending is even more challenging here. And currently so far also just pseudo via isometric drawing.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

5 hours ago, CEJones said:

I'm a geologist, and we like to use a brick pattern to indicate limestone. 

Turns out Geologists and Fashion Designers are not that far apart after all 😉😉

Yes this is a valuable feature that I hope will be coming soon. 

On 9/28/2020 at 5:21 PM, ra.skill said:

2. Brush Profiles

There is already a feature called Pressure in the Stroke Panel which you can use to give a stroke a shape and it can be saved as a Profile.

It also works with custom vectorbrushes, but you have to enable the Size Variance.

44 minutes ago, ESPR said:

There is already a feature called Pressure in the Stroke Panel which you can use to give a stroke a shape and it can be saved as a Profile.

It also works with custom vectorbrushes, but you have to enable the Size Variance.

Thank you ESPR,

Didnt realise I could save the profiles, this is very helpful

Update to want list.....

1. Pattern Brushes - STILL WAITING

2. Brush Profiles - FEATURE COMPLETE

3. Image Tracing - STILL WAITING

4. Pattern Creation - STILL WAITING

5. Offset Path Tool - FEATURE COMING SOON
A tool that automatically draws a path parallel to an existing path at a specified distance.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello There!

I seem to be having more or less the same wish list.

1: I am desperately waiting for a pattern swatch tool. I design a lot of repeating patterns and I need to be able to make a swatch out of this in vector! I recently designed patterns for PUMA to be used in the summer olympics and to deliver the artwork as bitmap is a no go. PLEASE affinity developpers put this on your roadmap!!!!!

2: I sketch a lot of line work on my iPad or on paper and vector trace it to be edited in a Vector program. I used to do this in adobe illustrator but after 25 years of adobe I got fed up with their adobe antics and decided to go with to the Affinity suite. I would be helped a lot with a vector tracing tool, to convert drawings to vector. I am using Inkscape now for lack of a better tool in the affinity realm but I would prefer to be able to do it in affinity designer.

THNX!

Edited by Pieter Frank

I don't know how good this tool is, but maybe it will meet your needs (for now). 

https://vectormagic.com

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

17 hours ago, Pieter Frank said:

Hello There!

I seem to be having more or less the same wish list.

1: I am desperately waiting for a pattern swatch tool. I design a lot of repeating patterns and I need to be able to make a swatch out of this in vector! I recently designed patterns for PUMA to be used in the summer olympics and to deliver the artwork as bitmap is a no go. PLEASE affinity developpers put this on your roadmap!!!!!

2: I sketch a lot of line work on my iPad or on paper and vector trace it to be edited in a Vector program. I used to do this in adobe illustrator but after 25 years of adobe I got fed up with their adobe antics and decided to go with to the Affinity suite. I would be helped a lot with a vector tracing tool, to convert drawings to vector. I am using Inkscape now for lack of a better tool in the affinity realm but I would prefer to be able to do it in affinity designer.

THNX!

Ditto !!!

Affinity Please add these as a matter of Urgency !!!

Thank You

For those who haven’t seen it…
https://youtu.be/JnfxzknVK_0

Video about the 1.10 release. 

From the sound of things this next version is predominantly a stability and performance update. There may not be many new features. 
But…

The feeling is that this version is about laying a strong foundation on which they will build rich features like the ones we’re all waiting for…

So maybe release 1.11 or 2.0 we will start seeing the features we want. 
🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

I am also a fashion design WHO DID JUMP a long time ago.  Love you.  Please include OFFSET PATH feature.  I use this when I need to add "stitches" to technical drawings.  I can copy the shape, transform which is a workaround, but it's not really the same.  

I love the options that ra.skill has asked for.   I'm ready to follow him on Instagram.  

32 minutes ago, siruba747 said:

Please include OFFSET PATH feature.

???
https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/CurvesShapes/contouringShapes.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

35 minutes ago, siruba747 said:

I am also a fashion design WHO DID JUMP a long time ago.  Love you.  Please include OFFSET PATH feature.  I use this when I need to add "stitches" to technical drawings.  I can copy the shape, transform which is a workaround, but it's not really the same.  

I love the options that ra.skill has asked for.   I'm ready to follow him on Instagram.  

Pleased to say that the offset path tool came in version 1.9 😊😊

it’s called the ‘Contour Tool’ and it’s actually better than Ai version… with more functionality. 

what version are you on @siruba747

by all means join me on Instagram… https://www.instagram.com/ra.skill/

30 minutes ago, ra.skill said:

Pleased to say that the offset path tool came in version 1.9 😊😊

it’s called the ‘Contour Tool’ and it’s actually better than Ai version… with more functionality. 

what version are you on @siruba747

by all means join me on Instagram… https://www.instagram.com/ra.skill/

I didn't understand what it was when I got the update.  Most of my work is physical.  I'm in the process of digitizing all my patterns for overseas production.  So I'm very happy to find that I'm not the only designer using Designer.  

30 minutes ago, ra.skill said:

Likewise 🙂

question… how do you get around measuring curves in Affinity Designer?

I cheat.  I start with the paper pattern in which I have created an interior set of measures including 45 degree angles with definite measures. An angle line is built linear first then transformed to a 45 angle.   I built little interior structures of measurements.  Using the pen tool (because there is no line tool) then transform into the correct measures and scale the photograph into the digital framework as best as possible.  Then on a separate layer just trace it.  

curve workaround.afphoto

Update to want list.....

1. Pattern Brushes - STILL WAITING
A feature commonly used to create stitching brushes in fashion design.

2. Brush Profiles - FEATURE COMPLETE
The ability to add a shape profile to a stroke or brush.

3. Image Tracing - STILL WAITING

4. Pattern Creation - STILL WAITING
The Ability to create editable repeating vector patterns or prints designs that can be saved as a swatch and used as a fill.

5. Offset Path Tool - FEATURE COMPLETE

In version 1.9 the “contour tool” was added and provides the functionality of Ai offset path tool.

6. Dashed Line Alignment - STILL WAITING
Ability to slightly stretch dashed lines so that every every corner and end point is even and the same.