You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke changes appearance

Nuth1n

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Upward March said:

Any update on this stroke thinning issues? This also happens when exporting to pdf, and not being able to draw with brush and have it accurately represented on export is a huge issue

Not in the latest beta no - and I can't imagine it will be fixed in 1.9 then. Really 'awesome' and 'amazing' yes. 

Actually Serif is still struggling with vector and math - try to merge the two expanded strokes into one shape - alternate or winding fill does not matter:

image.png.5f9d6d9d629a3e0da6a9cb64aeb67fe7.png

Lets quote Serif Software:

• "Affinity Designer is setting the new industry standard in the world of design"
  • "Best in class for creating concept art, print projects, logos, icons, UI designs, mock-ups and more"
  • "No bloat, no gimmicks, just all the tools you need, implemented how you always dreamed."
  • "Affinity Designer is a stripped back, pro-end workhorse that will always get your job done."

Stripped down to a few buggy essentials that works the way 'we always dreamed' ??? This gets our job done, always? How is this a new industry standard? What industry? What class?

Put your money where your mouth is, Serif.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

The boolean add operation is sensitive to... physical size? (1.9)🤔

size.gif.afda3116972458834ab67209d936d764.gif

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

7 hours ago, anon2 said:

Yes, sensitive to size and position measured in pixels (the under-the-hood unit of measurement in Affinity).

Vectors and pixels hand in hand? Arch...

3 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

@Jowday what was the name of the vector app we were supposed to be looking into for Cyber monday?

CorelDRAW. They threw it at me. But possibly more discounted where I currently am than world wide. And because who I am.

I have two setups; my business machines with Adobe CC - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and CorelDRAW as well besides a whole bunch of other programs.

I tried to keep the cost on my private computer down - I spent a fortune on licenses for photography and RAW development apps (also running Photoshop on private computer) besides cameras and equipment of course. The vector work I make on my private computer doesn't justify an Illustrator class program. Or so I thought. It was a delight to draw with a program that had a new approach to the pen tool (Designer) but oh boy the rest. The missing features. The stray nodes. The boolean errors. The usability. And the waiting. I honestly believed Serif had taken a few steps up the ladder. Nope.

I also have Gravit Designer. But same issues. Few features. So I purchased CorelDRAW as an economic compromise - and in a weak moment. I didn't use it much the last decade but I have had just as much fun using it. And a creative rush. Habit and muscle memory protested the first days then I just created and created.

So whatever they charge you, pay. It is an investment and you are out of the Serif cell with constant limitations...walls, ceiling. The moment you have all the tools available in programs since the 90's you can play and create without wasting days or hours on manual work. Or not doing something. The hype is indeed over.

• 1 year later...