You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

From today the spell checker recognizes only the English language. The last time I used it in my language (Italian) it worked perfectly and that was 2 days ago. I tried to change the main language in the PREFERENCES section and reset it to Italian, but everything was in vain and the problem remains. Does anyone have a solution on this?

6 hours ago, Phast696 said:

I tried to change the main language in the PREFERENCES section and reset it to Italian

The only thing that actually changes from the preferences is the user interface language (under General preferences). There is also a language dropdown in the Auto-Correct preferences that often confuses people, but it will be helpful to realize that that dropdown is not a setting at all, and changing what is selected there does not change anything about the how the program works. What it does is change which language you want to edit auto-corrections for, which is the section right below it. You can have multiple sets of auto-corrections for each language. When you are working in English, for example, you might want "teh" to be automatically changed to "the." You can have a completely different set of auto-corrections for other languages. They are all active at the same time, but the dropdown just picks which set of auto-corrections you want to edit in the preferences at that moment.

Maybe that is confusing, but the point is that you can't set spellchecking language from any screen in the app preferences. Rather, the key bit of knowledge here is that language is a character-level attribute rather than a document-level or app-level attribute. Just like you can select a portion of a sentence and make it bold, you can also select a portion of a sentence and identify it as English, another portion, French, etc.

So, how to solve your problem: If you use text styles in your document, then you will want to change the language as part of the style definition. Otherwise, if you just want the entire document to be Italian, a quick solution is to just Select All and change the language of the selection from the Character Studio to Italian.

• 4 weeks later...

In fact, only a native speaker can check spelling. I encountered this when I started learning Spanish. I worked with an online Spanish tutor and asked about this problem. In fact, there will always be differences in languages and spellings, even in one language. It all depends on geography, even in dialects you can sometimes see differences in spelling

What’s worth picking up at the NFT supermarket? NFTs can really be anything digital (such as drawings, music, your brain downloaded and turned into an AI), but a lot of the current excitement is around using the tech to sell digital art. Read recent NFT and Gamefi news, follow me on Twitter and Instagram

3 minutes ago, Jake-Moore said:

In fact, only a native speaker can check spelling.

That’s an astonishing assertion! I would have thought any really fluent speaker (or rather, writer) could check spelling; I certainly expect someone who is truly bilingual to be able to do so, despite the fact that the vast majority of bilingual people are not native speakers of both languages.

7 minutes ago, Jake-Moore said:

even in dialects sometimes spelling is heard

How can spelling be “heard” in speech? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 10/21/2020 at 1:54 PM, Alfred said:

That’s an astonishing assertion! I would have thought any really fluent speaker (or rather, writer) could check spelling; I certainly expect someone who is truly bilingual to be able to do so, despite the fact that the vast majority of bilingual people are not native speakers of both languages.

How can spelling be “heard” in speech? :/

Sorry, I mean that even in dialects you can sometimes see differences in spelling. Thanks for fixing it)

What’s worth picking up at the NFT supermarket? NFTs can really be anything digital (such as drawings, music, your brain downloaded and turned into an AI), but a lot of the current excitement is around using the tech to sell digital art. Read recent NFT and Gamefi news, follow me on Twitter and Instagram

On 10/21/2020 at 12:58 PM, haakoo said:

In my life/live my hard hart heart, hurt, herd, heard

I pronounce ‘hart’ and ‘heart’ the same way, so you can’t ‘hear’ the spelling. Likewise ‘herd’ and ‘heard’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, haakoo said:

That was just my point dot period 😂

Stop, Full Stop.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.