You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when importing symbol

shushustorm

Unfortunately this bug has been around for ages and has been reported ( but not yet fixed).

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 4 months later...
21 hours ago, Michael A. Lowry said:

FYI, this bug remains in AD 1.9.3.

I lost about an hour’s work because the when the crash happened, the document I had been working on had not been saved. In fact, it seems none of the changed I made to the document yesterday were saved. (The file shows a last-modified date in October, and that indeed corresponds to the last time I remember working on this file.) I do not know why the auto-save feature did not work.

4 hours ago, Michael A. Lowry said:

I lost about an hour’s work because the when the crash happened, the document I had been working on had not been saved. In fact, it seems none of the changed I made to the document yesterday were saved. (The file shows a last-modified date in October, and that indeed corresponds to the last time I remember working on this file.) I do not know why the auto-save feature did not work.

Autosave only updates the sandbox version. To update the afdesign file you need to do a manual Save from the hamburger menu or from the Document Save menu (though some people have posted about the latter method intermittently failing).

It’s easy to demonstrate. Just draw a red coloured rectangle return to Home Screen and Save a copy to default save location. Tap the icon  (showing a red rectangle) to reopen the file and now change the colour to green. Wait 35 secs and press Ipad home button and swipe up to close affinity (without saving). Reopen affinity and the project icon should now display the green icon (auto save working).  Now use Files app and navigate to the default affinity folder and the saved afdesign file. Note the file icon shows a red rectangle. Autosave did not update the afdesign file, only the sandbox copy. Back to Designer, in workscreen open Document menu and tap save. Open Files app again and look at the files icon. It now shows a green rectangle. 
Conclusion, autosave or back button update the sandbox copy but not the file itself. Save using Document menu Save or Home Screen Hamburger menu Save updates both sandbox copy and file copy.

Note that if you close the file on the Home Screen without having done a manual Save you will lose any edits made since previous manual save. 

To further confuse matters, if you have closed the file on the Home Screen then at a later time  reopen it from the default save location you will need to do another manual save from the Home Screen hamburger menu to re-establish a link between sandbox copy and the afdesign file. This creates a new copy of the existing file in the default location. Until you do this you won’t see a Save option in the Workscreen Document menu and the edits will only appear in the sandbox copy which can get corrupted resulting in loss of work with no up-to date backup.

Hope this makes sense and help prevent further losses. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/