You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place Command Moves Publisher Window

Lukc666

Every time I use the place command it moves the entire Affinity Publisher window down my screen (see attached screenshots to demonstrate placing one image, then another).

Happens whether I use keyboard shortcut (cmd+shift+M) or via menu.

This behaviour is relatively new — didn't notice it before August. Behaviour doesn't occur in fullscreen mode.

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.6
Afpub 1.8.4

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.00.43.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.00.55.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.03.14.png

Reported previously...

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Thanks. It seems to be caused by low resolution displays, and it seems to happen with the File > Place dialog has been stretched, so it falls off-screen. The only workaround for now is to reset your user default settings. Close down the app, hold down CTRL and start the app. When the "Clear user data" appears on screen, you can release CTRL. Make sure you only tick "Clear User Defaults" and it should be fine. Issue logged.

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

It seems to be caused by low resolution displays, and it seems to happen with the File > Place dialog has been stretched,

How this? I can stretch this dialog but can't stretch its lower edge off the screen.

Maybe the various dialogs (New... / Open... / Place... / Export...) may be looked at + get improvement?
They are kind of strange in their different occurrences and behaviors. For instance:

"New..." has a window title bar (=close/resize buttons) + is movable + remembers a custom position.
"Open..." has no title bar + is movable – does not remind its position
"Place..." and "Export..." have no title bar – are not movable

Additionally each of this dialogs get placed behind UI elements (panels, bars) – though they require user feedback. While "New..." maybe ignored and simply gets hidden behind the document window then.

It seems that the Resource Manager window is the most user friendly of these windows: it offers all 3 options (title bar + movable + reminds position) and doesn't hide behind panels – ironically this window gets requested by some users to be rather a panel than a window.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 hours ago, Gabe said:

Thanks. It seems to be caused by low resolution displays, and it seems to happen with the File > Place dialog has been stretched, so it falls off-screen. The only workaround for now is to reset your user default settings. Close down the app, hold down CTRL and start the app. When the "Clear user data" appears on screen, you can release CTRL. Make sure you only tick "Clear User Defaults" and it should be fine. Issue logged.

I also use a 4k monitor. It happens there as well, so I don't think it's only a case with low resolution displays.

But you're right, the File > Place dialogue is stretched. I just realized now. Unfortunately I can't "unstretch" it because it stays off screen!