You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.9.0.199)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo for iPad From App Store

App Store:  Not submitted

Download link: Download

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the third build of Affinity Photo 1.9.0 for iPad.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significantly different from the 1.8.4 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous / future versions of Affinity Photo.

Furthermore, massive behind the scenes work has been done to enable GPU acceleration for the Windows version of Affinity Photo in 1.9. In theory this should have no consequences for macOS / iOS users - but it’s likely that a couple of things will have become broken along the way. We are giving ourselves a longer beta period with 1.9 in order to find and fix those things.

This also means that the full complement of new features is not available yet in this 1.9 beta - more will be added over the coming weeks.

Thanks again for your continued support!

Affinity Photo Team  :ph34r:

Changes Since 1.9.0.196

- Added noise reduction and tone mapping options into the HDR merge dialog.
- Added curves adjustment to the tone mapping persona.
- Added “Duplicate spare channel” to right click menu.
- Merged assorted iOS14 fixes from 1.8.6.
- Fixed numerous bugs with brushes, introduced in the 1.9.0 betas.
- Fixed “Infer LUT”.
- Fixed assorted other GPU acceleration issues introduced in the 1.9.0 betas.
- Localisation improvements.

Changes Since 1.9.0

- Text on a path is now available in Photo.
- Assistant options are now available from preferences (so there is no need to open a document to access them).
- More filters now work on masks / adjustments / spare channels (Add Noise, Perlin Noise, etc.).
- Improved experience when editing a spare channel (view artefacts, histogram and navigator).
- Setting a blend mode on a sub-brush will now work properly - paving the way for import of PSD dual-brushes in a future build.
- Fixed issues when attempting to add layers to a spare channel (!).

- The “Serif Labs” RAW engine is now available on iPad.
- Added external display support for iPad (in the navigator panel, once the external display is connected).
- You can now single tap a spare channel in the Channels panel to edit it like a layer.
- A benchmarking tool has been added in the preferences dialog.
- Blend modes now work on “alpha only” layers (masks, adjustments, live filters, etc.).
- Added a new “Divide” blend mode.
- Added “Create from centre” for the elliptical marquee tool.
- Allowed snapping to the bounds of the pixel selection.
- Added ability to create brushes from the current pixel selection with one click.

1 hour ago, AlainP said:

Great job, and Scribble works. Thanks!

Are you able to use the Art Text tool and Scribble /write text using the Apple Pencil? I cannot :(

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

19 hours ago, Andy Somerfield said:

Fixed “Infer LUT”.

Andy, I can still repeatedly crash AP beta 199 using infer lut. I’ve posted in beta thread with screen recording showing process. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

14 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Are you able to use the Art Text tool and Scribble /write text using the Apple Pencil? I cannot :(

Currently Scribble does not work to write text using the Art Text tool, but it can be used to rename layers and files. Things that could not be done in the previous version.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 1 month later...

Few things..

1.  Fonts are real small 🤓 
  2.  Rotate my canvas not available?
  3. We ever getting split view? (Multi-task view)?
  4.  Selections engine - don’t why I expected detect model like Photoshop on iPad
  5.  I know @Andy Somerfield mentioned full compliment of features, slowly releasing onto iPad beta, they’re taking time with the one. I’m just curious if the inputting of curves coordinates (X,Y,Min,Max) and the curves picker will be here sooner, rather than later? 🤗(See image)

1BB12EBE-7728-42D4-B3A4-F32C9A4F9C6C.jpeg

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

• 1 month later...

Hello, need help urgently.  
I am a beta user for the first time... 

When will a new test flight version come out. Version 199 ends in 5 days and I can't import my projects into the old Affinity Photo

Help what should I do?  When are there updates?  

I can then no longer access my files.  

Unfortunately, I did not know.  

Please help.  
Thanks greetings
Chris

• Staff

@EMOTIONFLOW

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

You should save your files and await future betas, but it is just possible that the build #199 files will possibly open in the retail version 1.8.6. Have you tried that?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor

Thanks for the quick answers. Yes, I tried, but unfortunately it doesn't work. An error message appears ... the file has been edited with a newer version.
I would wait for a new version ... Testflight will expire in 5 days so I have to find a solution, otherwise I won't get the data anymore. Usually updates come earlier ...

Now has to go through Export PSD Files.

• Staff
40 minutes ago, EMOTIONFLOW said:

Now has to go through Export PSD Files.

For now, yes, it will open in 1.8.5 but much will be lost/flattened.

You should not do production work in the beta (it's in bold above) as this can happen, sorry

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Looks like the first beta expires in a day or so on TestFlight, thought there might have been an update by now, so just a reminder to everyone to save off your work in case you lose it.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

On 12/23/2020 at 6:26 AM, Paul Mudditt said:

Looks like the first beta expires in a day or so on TestFlight, thought there might have been an update by now, so just a reminder to everyone to save off your work in case you lose it.

Just curious, when the new beta updates come are we able to use the saved images from the last beta?  I haven’t paid attention to this so need to ask.

I did save them however, with thanks to you.

Edited by p_mac

38 minutes ago, p_mac said:

Just curious, when the new beta updates come are we able to use the saved images from the last beta?  I haven’t paid attention to this so need to ask.

I did save them however, with thanks to you.

Generally the .afphoto files you save with one release of the beta should be usable in the next release of the beta, and in the retail release when it becomes available. That is not guaranteed, however, and that is part of the reason that using the beta for anything other than testing is not recommended. (See th first post in this thread for that warning, which is common to all of the beta release announcements.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

can not join in the beta of affinity photo with clicked the download link and use testflight , in testflight it said the beta version doesn't need any more people to test,any way to solve it? 

3FF860F7-668A-4AE4-A0FC-C5D9B82D005A.thumb.jpeg.0d6d5d23caef2d4dd78a74b4e0337c38.jpeg

btw: i am now in designer test people list ,but i want to join the 1.9 version of affinity photo test

• Staff

@243750496

Sorry,  there is no affinity photo iPad beta for any user currently. A new one should be available soon

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

On 1/1/2021 at 10:14 AM, Patrick Connor said:

@243750496

Sorry,  there is no affinity photo iPad beta for any user currently. A new one should be available soon

The message from TestFlight (“This beta isn't accepting any new testers right now.”) is rather unhelpful, but I don’t suppose Serif has any control over that!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The message from TestFlight (“This beta isn't accepting any new testers right now.”) is rather unhelpful, but I don’t suppose Serif has any control over that!

Nope, it's an oddly phrased message, but not in our control.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I would say that I'm am an inexperienced beta tester. So, I'm just looking for some advice on the testing process. I did read the bold disclaimer on doing 'real work' before I downloaded the new beta. However, the only way that I am going to put the new beta through its paces is to do 'real work' with it. And I have. My iPad says that I logged an average of 6 hours and 20 mins daily on this app, which I assume includes weekends too. I have reported some issues through testflight messaging. I'm assuming (and maybe this isn't so), that any crash that I experience gets logged and adds to some data set.

I see my voluntary test of this application as a contribution to the development of a very important and unique resource for the iPad. And I am happy to do this but I'm never really sure that my contribution is that helpful since I don't really get any feedback when I do report something or if the application self-reports when an error occurs.

Also, I've been continuing to use the 1.9 beta until yesterday since keeping it in the app history allowed it to be accessible. But, I somehow lost the link last night. So now, foolishly, I am in the same predicament as some of the other users who posted here, not able to open many of my .aphoto files. Fortunately, no contracts are riding on this since I'm just a hobbyist. I will see if I can reinstall 1.8.5 or wait for the 1.9 retail release.

So, in the future, I may leave the beta testing to the more experienced professionals and just complain when I have an issue with the retail version ;)

Thanks

50 minutes ago, rpaul said:

Um, is it actually possible to revert to a previous version of Photo in iOS? I guess I'm looking for 1.8.4 or 1.8.5

I don’t think it is possible. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.