You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.6] Support for iPadOS 14 Scribble not working?

R C-R

Maybe I have something set incorrectly or I do not understand how to use this new feature but I cannot get the iPadOS 14 Scribble feature in either of the new 1.8.6 versions of Designer or Photo to work. At best, I can get the little Apple Pencil in a circle icon to appear, to tap on it to get other options like the small floating keyboard to appear, but in neither Art nor Frame text boxes does scribbling with the Apple Pencil do anything other than with Art text try to change the font size -- IOW, no scribbles appear at all.

The one place it does work in the Affinity apps is renaming an open document after tapping on the home screen burger menu to open the rename screen with the 'Please enter the new name' text & the text field below that. But with a document actually open for editing it does not work as I would expect it to in any text box.

I have a non-pro 9.7" (6th generation) iPad, the one Apple designates as order number "MRJN2LL/A (32 GB Gold)" paired with a first generation Apple Pencil.

In Settings > Apple Pencil > "Try Scribble" everything works. All Scribble features also work in Apple apps like Mail & 3rd party ones like Vectornator X for iPad, so this seems limited to the two Affinity iPad apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I forgot to add that I tried this both with iPadOS 14 & then with the 14.0.1 version I just installed on my iPad, & after quitting & relaunching each of the two apps on my iPad.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Same issue here. I select the Art Text tool, drag out the size of the font I want, and once I attempt writing anything, it simply places another resizable A on the screen. I’m using the latest version of the app released today

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

13 minutes ago, ronnyb said:

Same issue here. I select the Art Text tool, drag out the size of the font I want, and once I try to attempt writing anything, it simply places another resizable A on the screen.

Your sig says you have a 2018 11" iPad Pro. Am I correct in assuming that means you are using a second generation Apple Pencil with it, the one that pairs & charges wirelessly?

Affinity Photo 

Scribble does not work on my 2020 iPad Pro neither on my 9,7 inch gen 6. for text input. Both have the latest OS.

May be what they meant by "Support for iOS 14 Scribble" is that it does not cause any bug like the previous version (or the current beta), but the "real Scribble" function does not work for text input of any kind. 

We're one step closer.....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

Your sig says you have a 2018 11" iPad Pro. Am I correct in assuming that means you are using a second generation Apple Pencil with it, the one that pairs & charges wirelessly?

Exactly 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Not working for me in eithe photo or designer. Seems to make using pencil to change tools etc a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it wants to scribble (with no result) other times it will action the tapped menu. Have to turn offf Scribble in settings to make affinity workable.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

2 hours ago, GiangCao said:

I think it's a problem form Apple and not Affinity. I have problems with Scribble as I renamed files in the native iPad Files app  and had to turn off scribble to be able to do it

For me, Scribble works fine in the Files app, & as I mentioned in other apps as well.

Affinity Photo 

• 4 months later...

I think it was previously mentioned that Scribble  works for naming files and or layers but not for any tools like artistic text. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 5 months later...

It does not work on the M1 iPad with 2nd Gen Pencil either. It's actually very messy and a bit of a workflow breaker. Each time we try writing with the pencil it creates a new text item instead.