You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 Crashes in Export Persona Slices Panel

atulcj

Hi,

My first time creating a topic on this forum, please excuse any errors / oversights.

Today I encountered this error on Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 on Windows 10.

I had 6 artboards in a file. I created slices and exported jpegs and closed the file. Later on when modifications were done to some of the artboards and ready for exporting slices again, the file kept on crashing when the slices panel was opened. On searching the forums for similar issues reported by others, I came across this (and other similar) thread(s):

I think this issue was addressed earlier, but has resurfaced in this version. I updated Affinity Designer to 1.8.5.703 last Saturday (19th Sept 2020) from the earlier version 1.8.4.x. 

Since my workflow (almost always) involves creating multiple artboards and exporting slices I can say with confidence that I have never encountered this issue earlier, i.e. since Nov 2019 when I began using Affinity Designer. 

In the meanwhile, I copied the artwork to a new file and refrained from creating slices. The new file has been behaving OK.

Please let me know if you require additional inputs from me.

Hello everybody,

I want to second that: I still can open the slices persona, but as soon as I modify some of the settings to a slice, Designer may or may not crash.

In particular, when I copy an artboard in order to create a new icon for my app and want to modify / adjust the settings of the new slice, I run into trouble. I usually enable the "export continuously" setting (sort of the tranlsation from german back to english). Right now, Designer freezes when ever I try to click on the triangle that shows the slice settings for the 2nd slice I want to edit.

What I also noticed is the following:

• When copying an artboard, exactly the same name will be used resulting in a sort of "duplicate slice name" warning.
  • The checkbox used to add a slice to the export list is also copied. I'd suggest, that this particular setting should be reset on copy since we're getting a warning about a duplicate name anyways.
Edited by skybow

Hi @atulcj Welcome to the Affinity forums! 

Are you able to create a video of the steps that you took to create the crash and upload it so I can take a closer look please? It would also be good to have a look at one of the files that is affected by this too. If you'd rather not upload your document publicly I can provide you with a dropbox folder link instead.

23 hours ago, SPaceBar said:

Hi @atulcj Welcome to the Affinity forums! 

Are you able to create a video of the steps that you took to create the crash and upload it so I can take a closer look please? It would also be good to have a look at one of the files that is affected by this too. If you'd rather not upload your document publicly I can provide you with a dropbox folder link instead.

Thanks for your offer for the dropbox folder link - I will be able to share the error causing document with you via dropbox.

I wonder if a video can help, as the only thing that happens with the file with the error is; the Affinity designer UI freezes when the Slices panel is opened/touched, when I open the Windows task manager the crashpad handler .exe is busy at work - attached a screenshot

I tried downgrading to Affinity designer 1.8.4  - the error document behaves in the same fashion (freezes on opening slices panel). 

I experimented with completely new files - Below are the steps to recreate the error

1. Make a multi artboard file

2. Create slices out of artboard

3. Click on the triangle in the slices panel to open and go to the settings make the settings 

4 . At this step sometimes the freeze happens instantly or one is able to export the slices, close the file but when the file is reopened and the slices panel activated the freeze happens. 

task manager.png

1 hour ago, SPaceBar said:

Hi @atulcj Here is the Dropbox Folder link for your file.

Thanks @SPaceBar, I have uploaded the file with the error :- Logo 1 Mockup - Rev2 - Slices error.afdesign 

Have also uploaded another file without the content but with the artboards and the slices :- Logo 1 Mockup - Rev2 - Slices error-content removed - empty artboards.afdesign

I thought maybe the contents on the artboard were creating an issue, but even the empty file has the error

• 4 weeks later...

I am having same problem - AD stops responding when manipulating with slices. The UI freezes. I think it's somehow linked to the hover hint displayed when you leave mouse over a field. If I manage to do the actions quickly and move mouse constantly (to prevent the hints to be shown) I can do the work. Sometimes it works for a while but it stops responding very frequently. I have tried current beta (1.9.0.815) and the issues is still present there.

Tell me If there's a log or something I can attach. I don't want to attach my design file though...

Hi @dozd Welcome to the Affinity forums!

Thanks for the extra information. Would you be able to upload a short video of what you explained above about the hover hint? That's a step that I haven't tried yet and it would be interesting to see it in action.

You don't generally get a crash log with a hang but we can provide dropbox folder links if you felt more comfortable with that instead of uploading a file.

Hello @SPaceBar, thank you for the reply. I have captured the video - this time, it took quite long before it hung. Also my findings about the 'hover hint' is not clearly visible ;). Sometimes it hung instantly whenever I want to do something in the slices. I must try it a few times... It's somehow random. If you are unable to reproduce I can probably share the design file in the end.

http://cloud.dozd.eu/s/XCgESX9i4zQG73L

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys

This happened to me after the update to 1.8.5 and even the latest customer beta 1.9.x

My file contains 22 artboard and 22 slices. Everything works fine until I expand one of the slices to modify the output. Both versions hangs completely and becomes unusable. Thinking of downgrading until this is fixed.

Edited by i3D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the same issue in Affinity Designer 1.9.2 on Windows. When in Export Persona the UI freezes, when I want to close the application save dialog appears but I can't click on anything. Last time it froze when displaying a help tooltip. Is there a fix?

Edited by mindjar

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...