You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Invoke affinity Photo Persona from Designer

Hi,

When working in Designer, it would be very nice to be able to instantly switch to the Photo Persona (when installed) so to do some photo retouch that are part of a composition. Right now, when using Designer, and a photo in it, I must manually call Photo, do the touch up I need, and reload in Designer.

Maybe I am not using the tools as it should, but that would be fantastic to be able to call the “Photo Persona” when in Designer for quick touch-ups.

Kind regards,

Alexandre Leclerc

• Staff

Hi aleclerc,
You can send the document to Photo and vice-versa going to menu File > Edit in Photo (or File > Edit in Designer if you are in Photo already) without the need to save the file (not sure you are  aware of this or not from your post above). You can also set a shortcut key in Affinity Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section to speed up the process.

Hi MEB,

Thank you for the answer. I probably do not know how to use the software properly because this is not doing what I intend it to do.

What I try to do:

—Let say I am in Designer making a 1080p artboard, and I have a 4K image sized down inside a circle shape (to make a mask).

—Then I realize that there is a little something I want to touch up the picture (I want to remove an electricity line I did not see before).

—Then if I do as you suggest (thank you, I was manually opening the file in the past, it will save me time).

—But the problem is that Photo lets you work on an actual 1080p image (the rasterized equivalent of the final Designer composition), not on the actual 4k photo object with all its details.

What I would like to do is working directly on the 4k version of the picture that is hidden inside the mask. Invoking Photo to actually work on the selected photo inside Designer.

Maybe this is possible, but I do not know how.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Alexandre Leclerc

• Staff

In that case, open the original 4k image in Affinity Photo first and save it as an afphoto file (the native affinity photo file format). Place this afphoto document in the Designer (it will become an embedded document) scale it down and mask it with the circle. Now when you want to edit the image, switch the document to Affinity Photo (menu File > Edit in Affinity Photo) then double-click the masked circle on canvas to  to select the embedded document inside, then double-click again to it in a new document tab where you can edit it independently from the rest (as if it was a smart object in Photoshop). After you edit it, close that document tab and the changes will be reflected in the original scaled down embedded document. Switch back to Designer to continue you work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 12:02 PM, MEB said:

Place this afphoto document in the Designer (it will become an embedded document)

This is well and good if you know from the start that you will need to do this, but what happens when someone doesn't notice that which needs to be touched up until after starting on the document, not having taken the time to do this for perhaps multiple pictures being used in a project?

It would again be very helpful to have a simple menu option to take an existing selected layer or group of layers and convert it to an embedded document in place.

Similar to the "Convert to Picture Frame" command in Publisher, a new "Convert to Embedded Document" command (or similar)...  obviously that leads to the inverse operation to "expand" an embedded document in place, de-embedding it and converting to to perhaps a group?

2 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Instead of dragging onto the canvas ,drag it into the assets panel, it then will be a group that you can drag onto canvas(unlinked/unembedded)

I'm not referring to adding something new.  I'm referring to something already in the document, which may have been created intentionally as an embedded document (or converted to one for editing purposes) but which the user later wishes to convert back to simple layer content without needing to reposition/transform it after the conversion.