You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello

is it possible to set the program that if I save or export data, that the current path of the opened file is directly set to save the data in it?

I often open a file and I have to export it in pdf. So  when I will export it, the path is always a completly different path ( I think from the last saving)

Thank you.

• Staff

When saving or exporting the app will default to the last location it saved to. The apps don't have an option to specify a folder location for save/exporting but it is something that has been requested. So it may be a feature thats added in a future update.

People have been requesting this simple, very useful option for 5 years. Many have agreed that Export should default to the folder containing the original file. Others have attacked the idea vigorously. Some seem to think their particular, idiosyncratic workflow is the "correct" (therefore "moral") workflow, and that's how everyone else "ought" to be doing it. 

Many apparently simple feature requests have languished, just as many annoying bugs have persisted. Sometimes it is admitted that the Serif team is far too small to  fix that which we would like to see fixed or to develop features now common in the competition.

Recognizing that despair is a sin, I have adopted my mother's philosophy in relation to Affinity Photo:
"Oh well. What can you do? You just have to put up with it I guess."

I am still putting up with APhoto for reasons peculiar to me. I stopped recommending it to my photo enthusiast friends a year or so ago for several reasons, all of which are discussed from time to time by contributors to these forums.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

3 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

Many apparently simple feature requests have languished

Some of them, perhaps, because of that word "apparently". For this one, for example, your first paragraph reveals some aspects that make it not as simple as one might believe on the surface. To satisfy everyone you'd probably need to allow, at least, the choices of saving/exporting to the original directory, or saving/exporting to a standard directory, or saving/exporting to the last directory used, and probably also saving/exporting to a directory related to the file's original directory. And possibly more, such as saving/exporting to the last directory used for this particular file, independently of the directory being used for any other file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Some of them, perhaps, because of that word "apparently". For this one, for example, your first paragraph reveals some aspects that make it not as simple as one might believe on the surface. To satisfy everyone you'd probably need to allow, at least, the choices of saving/exporting to the original directory, or saving/exporting to a standard directory, or saving/exporting to the last directory used, and probably also saving/exporting to a directory related to the file's original directory. And possibly more, such as saving/exporting to the last directory used for this particular file, independently of the directory being used for any other file.

I wonder why you are taking this to such an extreme? There can be greatly increased user satisfaction without everyone being satisfied. You surely have noticed throughout life that a thing can improve without perfection being attained. Just providing an option that fulfils the simple request of the OP would instantly satisfy a great many users. Your additional complications/considerations would be of value to a much smaller proportion of users and so these could be ignored for the time being.

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

or saving/exporting to the last directory used

That is how I work. ⬆️

Whenever I work on a project the source files could come from many sources/folders but all are saved/exported into one particular project folder so they are easily found

Having the app default back to the file's original folder location, every time I opened a new file and then wanted to export it, would be a nightmare for me.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, carl123 said:

That is how I work. ⬆️

Whenever I work on a project the source files could come from many sources/folders but all are saved/exported into one particular project folder so they are easily found

Having the app default back to the file's original folder location, every time I opened a new file and then wanted to export it, would be a nightmare for me.

The OP's request could easily be accommodated by an ***option*** which you could choose not to enable and so there would be no nightmare for you.

27 minutes ago, anon2 said:

The OP's request could easily be accommodated by an ***option***

Options are great but you would "surely have noticed throughout life that a thing can improve without perfection being attained."

Affinity improves with every update... not always with the specific improvement(s) an individual/group wants but perfection will (realistically) never be attained for everyone.

So, just applaud all the improvements even if they don't (as yet) include yours, they will come eventually.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

23 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Options are great but you would "surely have noticed throughout life that a thing can improve without perfection being attained."

Affinity improves with every update... not always with the specific improvement(s) an individual/group wants but perfection will (realistically) never be attained for everyone.

So, just applaud all the improvements even if they don't (as yet) include yours, they will come eventually.

Yep, we should shut up and be thankful. Praise be to our Lord Serif.

This discussion is developing in a familiar direction.

Given how difficult (either in time or expertise or manpower) Serif finds it to fix simple bugs or provide simple features, why should anyone believe that Serif will eventually develop something as complex as the DAM that has been speculated about in these forums for years?

Meanwhile, the competition, which had a DAM when I first began digital editing eighteen years ago, is moving well beyond anything dreamed of by APhoto users. They are applying artificial intelligence (whatever that means) to provide features such as automated object selection, automated colorization of black & white photos, automated background removal, and automated sky replacement. 

I have been using APhoto for three years. It's been fun and I learned a lot about photo editing in these forums and through the several people dedicated to creating free tutorials and inexpensive training courses for APhoto. But during that time Serif has directed ever more resources into desktop publishing on the Mac platform while APhoto has been largely neglected. I often fear I have gone down a blind alley with APhoto. 

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

On 9/27/2020 at 4:58 AM, anon2 said:

Just providing an option that fulfils the simple request of the OP would instantly satisfy a great many users.

I am not so sure what the OP is requesting would satisfy very many users. I suspect at least as many would like to see multiple options, including saving to a designated project folder or always reverting to some default folder like the Mac Pictures folder or the Windows equivalent so the user could choose from any of its existing subfolders or create a new one.

But beyond that, I think the issues related to saving to anything other than to a locally attached drive need to be addressed first because if they don't, the current path option could be one that eventually results in file corruption & work lost.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7