You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for iPad - 1.8.6

Patrick Connor

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the iPad release of Affinity Photo, version 1.8.6

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.6 (over the last release Affinity Photo 1.8.4) are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

• Colour sliders dialog relocates when you make changes on iOS 14.
  • Adding a font into the Apps will cause iOS 14 to crash.
  • Support for iOS 14 Scribble.
  • Localisation improvements.

Earlier changes in 1.8 added since 1.7 (including the new 1.8 features) are listed in some detail in the 1.8.01.8.2 & 1.8.3 update announcements

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the corner of preferences screen.

Your Affinity iPad apps should update automatically next time you run them. However, you do need to be logged in with the same Apple ID you used to buy them.

If the automatic update does not happen for you, go to the iPad App Store app and go to Updates. Once you’re there, tap near the top of the screen where it states 'Updates' and then hold, pull down and then release. This should manually refresh the updates page. However, don’t contact us if the updates are not available for you yet—Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world and this can take up to 24 hours.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

If the automatic update does not happen for you, go to the iPad App Store app and go to Updates. Once you’re there, tap near the top of the screen where it states 'Updates' and then hold, pull down and then release. This should manually refresh the updates page.

My (non-pro) 9.7" iPad running iPadOS 14 does not update any software automatically. To update apps on it the procedure is slightly different because there is no item named "Updates":

In the App Store app, I tap on my account icon at the upper top right of the screen. This brings up an Account overlay with several items. Below the "Personalized Recommendations" item is one (mis)named "Upcoming Automatic Updates." Below that is an item named "Update All." Scrolling downward reveals a list of pending updates, each one with info about that update & its own "Update" button. This allows me to selectively update apps whenever I am ready to do that.

For Designer & Photo, as with many others the update info just says "Various stability & performance improvements." A few apps list more detailed info.

Designer & Photo were updated individually quickly & without problems. Yay! 😁

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

In the App Store app, I tap on my account icon at the upper top right of the screen.

After you tap on your account screen, have you tried holding center of screen, scroll down and release?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

I had a look at the AppStore this morning and Photo had been updated automatically. Thanks.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

After you tap on your account screen, have you tried holding center of screen, scroll down and release?

It does not matter where I press on the Accounts overlay (there is no separate account screen). I still have to scroll down to see much of anything below the "Personalized Recommendations" item, I assume because the overlay uses only about 2/3 of the available screen space on my iPad's 9.7" display.

I do not remember exactly when Apple changed how the iPadOS App Store works but as I remember it, it used to have a dedicated "Updates" button at the bottom which I think was replaced by the "Arcade" one promoting that Apple subscription service. Now, all the screens (Today, Games, Apps, Arcade, & Search) have a tiny round user account icon at the top right, which is what I have to tap to get the Accounts overlay. I use a customized icon for that, I think which replaced a generic default one.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the method of accessing App Store updates may be a bit different from the one @Patrick Connor mentioned in the OP for users of iPad models like mine.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7