You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shadows/Highlights adjustment insufficient and perhaps buggy (?) but in the Develop Persona it's very good

Hi,

currently working on a (tricky) photo and looking for the best way ho use most possible dynamic range. (16bit tiff) 

I'm trying to lift the shadows and got very different results in the three different shadow sliders in Photo. The Develop persona shows very good results in this case even though it's a singe slider.

The Shadows/Highlights adjustment layer doesn't show as good results as the develop persona. It doesn't bring up the colours in a pleasing way. It's hard to describe. It seems to add a slight white overlay making it a little bit hazy which I can't recover with other adjustments.

The Shadows/Highlights Live Filter seems to something that I don't understand. It makes the shadows green.

This is is in 1.8 and also in the 1.9 beta version.

I'd like to suggest some improvement to the adjustment layer and Live Filter. Even in lesser demanding photos these two shine with their not-so-good results. I don't think they need to be the exact same but it would be useful if they showed similar results as the develop persona.

Thanks!

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-24 um 20.46.21.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-24 um 20.24.09.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-24 um 20.15.36.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-24 um 20.58.34.jpg

I do have it as RAW in the PEF format. 

This particular image is just an example of a recent landscape in an extreme situation. I decided to post because sometimes this comes up in studio shots as well. For example with high contrast products which have glossy, black and/or white elements on white background or back-lighting. Those often need a little more shadow adjustments.