You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto trace please add

• 1 month later...

I really need this too. I don't understand how it could have been in the Legacy program, Serif Draw Plus (I think you can get that inexpensively - although I have trouble with it crashing a lot) and not in Affinity Design? If you are a person who is used to it, it is a must, making designer not really worth it. I don't say that easily as I love Affinity products.  It is an amazing time saver - why manually trace when you can have it done for you? Please Affinity, consider working on that?

BTW Xara graphic designer has it and it is not too expensive either and I find it a bit easier to use than Inkscape.

I am unclear why so many folk want auto trace. Is this a time constraint thing or just not having the talent to draw things themselves. I don’t mean to be demeaning here, I have just never had the need, or have been in the position, to trace something.

1 hour ago, undercovergypsy said:

Some of us bring out hand drawn art into software to clean it up. If you only draw in software you may not realize that you can fix imperfections in your work that cause critical errors on cutting machines or screens for printing. The time saved and the perfect results are worth it.

I get the importing of hand drawn art, but I’ve never had an auto trace work well enough were I didn’t spend more time fixing it than just drawing it outright over the imported image. Especially when you need to be concerned about specific colors and the number of colors. 
Then again, I am a bit of a control freak and I like to keep my anchor points to a minimum.

• 1 month later...

I've used the tracing feature built into DrawPlus for many years. It is often sufficient to work on , say, a logo.

I have now found Vector Magic which you can test online, subscribe to monthly or buy outright for $250. It's astonishing! There will be sources it can't handle, but it does an incredible job with most subjects, including photos. But do use the web version to see if it meets your needs.

My guess is that few Designer users will want to buy the full desktop product at that sort of price, but it might suit a group of users who only need it occasionally.

In the mean time people can use some of these workarounds ...

Some forum threads about bitmap tracing/vectorization:

Vectorization and autotracing software for Win + Macs:

Online tracing tools:

Online centerline supporting tracing tools:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2