You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HI,I have place 4 documents into a Event tent Doc in Affinity designer.   I Want to edit the place embedded image into affPhoto but don't know how to.   I know I can double -click on it and edit the embedded doc in affinity but I will be editing the actual image part of the embedded doc.  It does not go back to the original place file.  Is there a Edit in Affinity Photo command?  how do I do this.  I am getting some embedding option but none for adding external the original file. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 9.03.38 AM.png

Willy Pimentel
M1 Imac 16gb Mac os Ventura Latest 

If you use the Edit Document button you will be editing the embedded PDF file in Designer, which might work, but apparently isn't what you want.

Instead, Save the .afdesign file (for safety) and then use File > Edit in Photo to send the complete file over to Photo. Once there, select them embedded PDF file and click the Edit Document button. That will open it in a new tab (just as it would have in Designer) and you can make your edits, then Close that tab. That will save it back into the main document. Then Save again (for safety), and use File > Edit in Designer to send it back to Designer if you want.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

the procedure walt suggested  would be the best way I think if you only need the photo functionality,

otherwise publisher is the only app that keeps a persistent link to external files with possible update in both directions (reload picture to document/save edits to linked file)

4 minutes ago, Willy Pimentel said:

Well ..  I still editing the embedded doc itself.   I want to select the place image and say, Edit Original just as PSD or Illustrator Does.   Save the file and have those changes reflect the affinity doc.

In Affinity that would require a Linked document, not an Embedded document. Linked documents are a feature exclusive to the Publisher application.

So if that's what you want, you will need to open the original document directly in whatever application you want to use to edit it, make the changes, Save it, and then back in Designer use the Replace Document button.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In Affinity that would require a Linked document, not an Embedded document. Linked documents are a feature exclusive to the Publisher application.

So if that's what you want, you will need to open the original document directly in whatever application you want to use to edit it, make the changes, Save it, and then back in Designer use the Replace Document button.

I am using the replace Function!!!    It is not productive when I have many docs to update...   :(

Willy Pimentel
M1 Imac 16gb Mac os Ventura Latest 

1 minute ago, Willy Pimentel said:

I am using the replace Function!!!    It is not productive when I have many docs to update...   :(

If you want to edit/update the original file, that is your only choice using Affinity Designer.

If you were using Publisher, and were using Linked files and one of the Affinity file formats (.afphoto, .afdesign, .afpub) rather than PDF, you could simply click on Edit Document, and then do your editing in the Photo Persona. When you were done, the original file would be updated, along with the .afpub (or .afdesign) document.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, Willy Pimentel said:

Thanks for replying Walt..  I guess I will have to learn publisher....

Wished I could do this within affinity..  :(

Publisher is also an Affinity application :)

(And much of your Designer and Photo experience will carry over. You can even open your .afdesign files directly in Publisher.)

-- Walt
PC: