You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

While exporting vector to eps part of the vector rasterize and put curves into images

Hi,

so I have quite a strange issue. I was making a logo for my friends winery. I painted it and then digitalized it so she would get vector to use right. I was just in Designer persona for vectors using brushes from this library. The issue is that when I am in the affinity designer the logo itself looks ready, with transparent background etc. but when I export it to eps, white backgrounds behind the shapes appear. I was doing a little research, ticked all the boxes which was supposed to be ticked nothing helped. Then I tried to put the bad eps file back to Affinity and see what is the problem. What I found out is that some of the curves changed to images. When I tried to delete the "white squares" it will automatically delete part of the logo and it is just such a mess. 

I was wondering if that is because I though I used vector brushes but it somehow transferred to pixel brushes? The thing is it took me a lots of time to find out how to digitalize the painting itself and it was painted with watercolors which was hard to imitate. I was so happy when I finally found out that I can make it in affinity with the vector brushes but now I cant export it. My friend will use the logo in a big size to be printed on a wood. 

To understand how it was made maybe it will be clear why this is happening for somebody else. I used curves to make the outlines of all the shapes than filled them with color and then I used a mask layer for the filled ones, where I was using vector brushes to imitate the "texture" so It would not be so flat just with a plain color and look like it was painted. 

I tried to change the option as well for the eps but it resulted in loosing the strokes sizes. i tried to put it in Illustrator as well but the same thing appearing.

If somebody knows what to do with it that would be awesome.

UPDATE: I tried to just basic shape and the same mask with brush as I used in the logo and it has the same problem. When I export it and put it back it has the white background and it is rasterized. Second option to export it without rasterizing at all results in that the used watercolor vector brush is just black.. So that means it has problem export the vector brushes like vector and it rasterizes them - which i do not get, when it is a VECTOR brush. Or maybe I am idiot and understand the base of vector brushes badly? 

Here some pictures so you can see what I meant.

This is finished logo for export

logovectore.png

All the layers are curves in thisRight, layers.png

EPS version put back in Aff - curves became imageslogoepsformat.png

Eps,images,curves.png

This is to show you how was it made - basic shape filled with basic color and then mask with just brush stroke to make the textureshape with brush.png

This is the last option I tried but it resulted in the image below - all the stroke sizes, option, brushes deleted.Changed options.png

changed otpions.png

Snímek obrazovky 2020-09-24 v 13.42.45.png

Snímek obrazovky 2020-09-24 v 13.42.29.png

Snímek obrazovky 2020-09-24 v 13.47.24.png

LOGO.FINAL.BEFORE.EX.afdesign

Edited by Seagull17
Adding UPDATE and adding aff file

Welcome to the forums @Seagull17
Some of the “Vector Brushes” in Designer are not pure vectors, these use rasters which are applied to vectors (curves, etc.).
See the discussion below for more details and how to tell if a brush is pure vector or not.
Because of this the output, when exported, will contain rasters where those brushes have been used.
There’s nothing we users can do about this except to tell the software to remove any rasterised layers at export (see below).

Edited by GarryP
Edited for clarity (hopefully).

@stokerg Just to verify, can you confirm whether this sentence is correct or not?
“The only brushes that will export as vectors when exporting to a vector format – as long as no effect/adjustment/filter has been made to them which would cause the relevant layers to be rasterised – are those in the Basic category in Designer. All other brushes, in all Affinity applications, contain rasters and will therefore be exported as rasters.”

• Staff

Hi @GarryP,

It's basically any brush that has a texture applied to it.  Also applying a Layer Fx to a brush, even the Basic ones, would also rasterize it or if you set Rasterise To Nothing, the effects would be removed from the exported file but would still be a vector stroke.  The same is sure for adjustments/filters/layer effects  But this is mainly due to the export formats like SVF and EPS not understanding what those are, so in order for Designer to give you the correct 'look' we rasterise them or remove them depending on your export setting

Thanks for the extra information.
How would the user know whether they are using a brush that “has a texture applied to it”?
In other words, how can the user tell which brushes are ‘pure vectors’ by sight alone, rather than by experience?
Or, to put it another way, is there a way for the user to know that they are using a ‘pure vector’ brush when they start using it, rather than having to ask someone else or do some experimentation?
I’m just trying to get the correct wording so I can adjust my statement above so it’s more accurate and helpful to people who find this thread.

• Staff

@GarryP Best way would be to edit the brush and see if there is an image in the bottom half of the brush editor, if there isn't, then it's a pure vector brush.  So if you edit the 1st two brushes in the Pens category, you'll see a blank part at the bottom of the window.  If then edit one of the others, you should see the texture show and have the options to change how that flows over the path (stretch, repeat).  Also if you hoover the mouse over the brush, it show a tooltip with the brush name, eg 'textured Pen 01'

Hope that helps :)