You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hung on save

Unfortunately, I can't see any specific scenario, just have to save after any number of changes and it hangs, 50% of the time at least.

If I had access to some debug symbols or debugger (with rudimentary  instructions how to attach to the hung process) I might have fins where it happens at least.

btw. do you have any progress on that corrupted saves I reported here: ( I feel there might be some connection here)

ps. why were unclosed issues moved to archive?

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

On 9/24/2020 at 11:18 AM, TEcHNOpls said:

Nope, Nvidia GTX 970.

Can you give me a screenshot of your benchmark dialog? I know you posted one in the Benchmarks thread, but that didn't include the GPU result (guessing you didn't enable Hardware Acceleration in Preferences at that point).

Ok, I was hoping to have it done later but I had to (long story short, deleting partitions does not work well with LILO, even if these are unused) upgrade my PC, so I'll be posting different results now. I will however see if I can get this issue to reproduce. If so, I'll address this issue again.

Ok, so I was working on a photo, and all was well, until I removed a bunch of layers (merged earlier), and tried to save, then AP stopped working again on save.

Thou I don't believe it's specific set of actions that leads to this, just that I did some actions and then try to save. I did the removal of the layers again and now it saved.

ps. Besides the CPU and OS change, what changed was the RAM usage limit and Disk usage (from 8gb and 2000mb, respectively).

image.png.45f0e1909405d7566d85465775840db4.png

image.png.f83090582a6366cc5bbad98eb18e1e8c.png

I got it to hung a few times today, also, noticed there's some canvas rendering corruption happening from time to time.

Update: I have a file that keeps on locking AP on save with a simple reproduction scenario. I even updated GFX drivers and restarted Windows to check if id does hang AP and it does.

13 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

I got it to hung a few times today, also, noticed there's some canvas rendering corruption happening from time to time.

Update: I have a file that keeps on locking AP on save with a simple reproduction scenario. I even updated GFX drivers and restarted Windows to check if id does hang AP and it does.

Great - can you share the file?

Working on the highlighted layer, use Healing Brush tool, with Aligned and Use current Layer and Below.

I have to do some adjuctments, like trying to fix some spots on the face and then try to save to have AP lock up.

Edit: added file size for you to check.

image.png.be721f0a780397784a1a4417bb93b401.png

image.png.83728f2cb3b3b99f14931d1b32a85529.png

image.png.39d211748a1d6cf40aa48da17b269aae.png

I can confirm this started happening for me too with the latest beta 1.9.0.767.

I'm able to reproduce it pretty much every session. It seems random and it is not clear what it's triggering the issue.
In the video attached I'm just performing some random operations and then when I save the file the issue occurs.

Piero Desopo

Direction, Design <http://phoenixart.com>

Photography <http://www.pierodesopo.com>

19 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

Tested with latest version, hangs on save with Acceleration turned on. As such, acceleration looks unusable.

Can you try the following for me (with the latest beta).

Set the following environment variable: PersonaIsOpenCLLoggingEnabled to the value 1.

Then can you reproduce the hang, wait a minute, kill the app and then attach the %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\Log.txt file here please?

Both of those log files don't seem to contain anything more than the standard information that Affinity logs during startup.

I wonder if the output to the log file  is buffered and the final lines didn't get written to the file because of the hang? The logs I get when Photo has closed successfully have several more lines than the logs when I've had to kill it using the Task Manager, which could indicate that buffering is happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Both of those log files don't seem to contain anything more than the standard information that Affinity logs during startup.

I wonder if the output to the log file  is buffered and the final lines didn't get written to the file because of the hang? The logs I get when Photo has closed successfully have several more lines than the logs when I've had to kill it using the Task Manager, which could indicate that buffering is happening.

This is true. I've improved the logging to make sure lines are flushed to disk after writing for the hardware acceleration logging now (this will be available in the next beta).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.