You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF import crashes to Desktop

As an end user working in the professional pre-press environment our only concern is that AP should be able to interpret embedded fonts and has a reliable pdf passthrough. The technical issues as to why this is not working are of no importance. Workarounds, third party software etc. are just a distraction. Serif need to fix this problem before lasting damage is done to their reputation as a serious developer of professional design software (Description from their website ‘The Next Level of Professional Publishing’)

This dialogue has been ongoing for over two years, so they are well aware of the importance of this issue. One can only conclude, that at present, they either do not have the inclination or the ability to resolve this.

As a consequence I have contacted the MD of serif directly to say how important I (and many others) feel this problem is and that it prevents the use of AP as an alternative to indesign. I hope that he hears our collective plea and is able ensure the team dedicate the required time, and necessary expertise, so that this can be resolved. (As yet no response)

I believe the development team at Serif are doing their upmost to create a viable alternative to adobe and I am sure we all wish them to succeed in this endeavour. All we ask is that they listen to the professionals trying to use their apps.

• 4 weeks later...

Here too, AFFINITY 1.8.4 (MacOS 10.15.7) Crashes upon importing PDF.

1. Opening a PDF causes Affinity to crash
  2. I tried following in addition:
    1. Open PDF in MacOS Preview
    2. Save as a NEW PDF (Print as PDF)
    3. Open the newly created PDF in Affinity
    4. It can be opened, but all FONT is carbled, unreadable symbols - changing font is of no use... (see attached screen copy)

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 09.32.57.png

Edited by JP-C
Screen copy picture improved...

On 10/28/2020 at 1:49 PM, Jon P said:

@JP-C The issue raised from this thread was resolved in the 1.9 beta.

Can you check if you still get the crash in the latest beta, and if so upload the pdf here for investigation.

Thanks!

THank you,

1) Where can I download the latest BETA?

2) I got another PDF which also causes crashed with a crash report.

PDF contains private customer related information. Difficult to share.

JP-C

On 10/30/2020 at 10:56 AM, Jon P said:

@JP-C The beta is here

If you'd like to upload a pdf with personal information you can use this link, it will only be used for testing.

Hi, it's been almost a week since I had auploaded the file that causes crashes... did you received it? Could you reporduce the crash? Any progress?

Thank you for a brief feedback and update.

JP-C

On 11/5/2020 at 6:04 PM, Jon P said:

Hi @JP-C,

Apologies for the delay,

I can reproduce the crash with the pdf you sent, I've logged it with development.

Thanks

Hi @Jon P,

seems the new release 1.8.6. still does not adress this bug... am waiting for updates.

Thank you,

JP-C

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.