You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am looking forward to version 2.0

Call it intuition.

🤯 What new features do you think the best team ever will come up with for us? 

📅 And when will Designer, Photo and Publisher 2.0 be released?

#iknownothing #iamnotaninsider

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

3 minutes ago, Johannes said:

And when will Designer, Photo and Publisher 2.0 be released?

Never! "Adobe is going to make Serif an offer they can't refuse." :D

Who knows what will come. Personally I was surprised that PDF Passthrough is coming before 2.0.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

53 minutes ago, Johannes said:

And when will Designer, Photo and Publisher 2.0 be released?

We have no idea. We don't even know what will come after 1.9. Someone from Serif hinted once (a couple of years ago) that it might go 1.9, 1.10, 1.11, etc. so it won't necessarily go 1.8, 1.9, 2.0. (Though, it might go from 1.9 to 2.0 :) )

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Johannes said:

Call it intuition.

🤯 What new features do you think the best team ever will come up with for us? 

📅 And when will Designer, Photo and Publisher 2.0 be released?

#iknownothing #iamnotaninsider

Support for RTL languages I hope!!!!!!! I am having a nightmare with Publisher and RTL but because I love Affinity I am not giving up...!

3 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Who knows what will come. Personally I was surprised that PDF Passthrough is coming before 2.0.

Did they say it is coming before 2.0 or the next paid update? I assumed it would be one of those features they would have ready for the next paid upgrade giving users a reason to pay out for the update. 

2 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Did they say it is coming before 2.0 or the next paid update?

It's in the 1.9 beta of Publisher now.

It still has flaws. For example, the view of the Placed PDF file while working in Publisher is still, of necessity, interpreted. But in the Exported PDF file from Publisher it is Passthrough.

And it still has some bugs, but it's still a beta :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

It's in the 1.9 beta of Publisher now.

It still has flaws. For example, the view of the Placed PDF file while working in Publisher is still, of necessity, interpreted. But in the Exported PDF file from Publisher it is Passthrough.

And it still has some bugs, but it's still a beta :)

Good to hear! In my opinion this is the biggest thing they need to fix with Publisher, from there they can work on everything else. 

I recall them mentioning before they scrapped the 1.x series roadmap that convert raster to vector would be a feature for version 2. Personally I hope it is a 1.x feature, but I wouldn't mind paying for it considering how cheap the programs are and hopefully there are other significant workflow improvements packaged in with the 2.x series to justify jumping over. 

However, until then I can see them making bug fixes and UX improvements while fixing core issues with the software. 1.7 for Photo brought us stuff like a better brush engine and GPU acceleration for Macs. 1.8 brought us improvements to line quality on Windows, embedded layers improvements, and document/template presets. 1.9 will bring Windows users GPU acceleration, workspace presets, and hopefully other UX improvements to their core tools.

Photo in particular I don't really need a lot of brand new fancy tools, just fixes to already existing tools and features in the form of better shortcuts, better access to already existing features through menus and such (aka UX design), and of course bug fixes. I personally can't wait till they improve the Colour Picker Tool/colour picking in general, Smudge Tool, Sponge Tool, merge and rasterize operators, Freehand Selection Tool, and general brush and layers management, Windows in particular (so many Windows specific bugs).

Last year the devs mentioned that we will be getting updates for at least some more years before the jump to 2.0. My personal guess is that it is going to happen in about 2-4 years from now with at least 3 more major updates.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:31 PM, Joachim_L said:

Fat chance:

https://enlyft.com/tech/graphics-photo-editing

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

It says 49 companies are using Affinity Photo. This simply can’t be true.

Advertising designer - Austria —  Photo - Publisher - Designer — CS6 d&wP — Mac Pro 5,1 (4,1 2009) 48GB 2x X5690 - RX580 - 970EVO - OS X 10.14.6 - NEC2690wuxi2 - CD20"—  iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 128 GB - Pencil

On 9/25/2020 at 10:56 AM, Johannes said:

Hard to say when we don't know any details on how the site measures these metrics.

The metrics also leave me a bit puzzled regarding some of the softwares mentioned. Honestly surprised by how few companies are using the industry standard 3D softwares like Maya, ZBrush, and Max, just to name a few. I get that Photoshop and Illustrator are very popular because of how many areas it is used for in various industries, but the rest of the metrics either seem outdated or the criteria are being measured in a way that makes me question their validity.

14 hours ago, Johannes said:

Show us signs of market penetration then. Not single examples from single articles. Real signs of market penetration.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

21 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Agree.  This statistic is not worth the paper it's not printed on. 

There is no indication of which countries or industries are included, nor what is considered a "company" or "using". The percentages are based on the amount of companies in THEIR LIST, not in any relation to any industry or companies in existence in a specific region or anything. It just says "25% of the companies we know of are using Creative Cloud", even watering down this, because everyone who uses PhotoShop (35%) ALSO uses ,Creative Cloud', unless these ,companies' are using a very old version which whoever made the stats wouldn't be able to track online ... looks like BS to me and I'm getting way to invested in thinking about this, time to go to bed.

Oh ... the website states that this is the "number of companies we have found using", my guess is they weren't searching very hard ... because I (a not very well connected freelancer) know of four companies that use Affinity Photo for professional work and I haven't even been looking. There is also a good number of companies offering brushes, templates and such for Photo so I assume they are "using" it too. Lastly, while I am writing this post, there are 408 users active in this forum (midnight in the UK) and I'm sure a good part of them are business users too.

Nighty-night.

1 hour ago, Jens Krebs said:

Agree.  This statistic is not worth the paper it's not printed on. 

There is no indication of which countries or industries are included, nor what is considered a "company" or "using". The percentages are based on the amount of companies in THEIR LIST, not in any relation to any industry or companies in existence in a specific region or anything. It just says "25% of the companies we know of are using Creative Cloud", even watering down this, because everyone who uses PhotoShop (35%) ALSO uses ,Creative Cloud', unless these ,companies' are using a very old version which whoever made the stats wouldn't be able to track online ... looks like BS to me and I'm getting way to invested in thinking about this, time to go to bed.

Oh ... the website states that this is the "number of companies we have found using", my guess is they weren't searching very hard ... because I (a not very well connected freelancer) know of four companies that use Affinity Photo for professional work and I haven't even been looking. There is also a good number of companies offering brushes, templates and such for Photo so I assume they are "using" it too. Lastly, while I am writing this post, there are 408 users active in this forum (midnight in the UK) and I'm sure a good part of them are business users too.

The same goes for hype based claims and over-confidence in forum posts and on social media. "A good part" is just another guess.

Show us signs of market penetration. Real signs of market penetration. Evidence. I am simply curious after all the hype.

I have seen several companies crushed by creative destruction from new companies in my life. Or just threatened by sound competition. But it was real, it was out there. It happened. It was documented. It was visible. All I see here is just a variation of "the year of desktop Linux is near" that I first heard in 1997. It was bullshit and wet fanboy dreams all the way. Most of all because a great server OS finds its own way to ... servers. Budget software finds its way to hobbyists and some small companies.

Serif and Adobe targets different segments of creatives. Both with success. The idea that Affinity is an Adobe killer is an absurd wet fanboy dream. It never was their intention. 

2 hours ago, Jowday said:

Show us signs of market penetration.

Not my job -- I was just pointing out that you cannot prove or disprove anything with that link you posted and that the numbers in your statistic are very likely wrong. I don't have any other statistics nor am I interested.

Why is that stuff so important to you?

I for one am happy to have found something to replace a subscription with a  nice software that does what I need for a fair price and I'm sure if it wasn't worth the effort for them, Serif wouldn't continue working on it.

Because facts are more important than ever.

facts what if i told you meme -

I could imagine something like this

Designer 2

Blend Tool 
Vector based vector brushes

Publisher 2

Data Merge

Photo 2

Everything nondestructive

Suite

Embedded Fonts

On 9/26/2020 at 5:00 AM, Johannes said:

I could imagine something like this

Designer 2

Blend Tool 
Vector based vector brushes

Publisher 2

Data Merge

Photo 2

Everything nondestructive

Suite

Embedded Fonts

That's to less for such a big update, they will for sure add much more like mesh - width tool - better perspective control - smart fill - (and hopefully multiple language support).

• 5 months later...

Great tool. Would like to have Indic language support - right now the text rendition is a mess for Tamil, Hindi and other Indian languages. Photoshop had option to change text preference to fix it. I am seeing posts older than 3 years asking for this to be fixed

• 3 weeks later...

I think my biggest want would be for them to overhaul how colour is handled and the colour panels themselves. So many threads with simple issues trying to get a PDF with straight forward colours. Also the colour panels are overly complex and not intuitive at all. They should literally just copy Adobe on this one as they have it perfect.