You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't update in MAS without credit card?

• Staff

@user099 Before purchasing the software, you have the option to either purchase from the Mac App Store (which links the purchase to your Apple ID and updates are always provided through the Mac App Store) or the Affinity Store (which links your purchase to a product key and updates are provided through the app/Affinity website).

Unfortunately after purchasing from one or the other, the purchase is locked to that method and cannot be changed, my apologies.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

14 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Firstly, AppStores are not 'evil' and I haven't seen any person being 'hurt' by an electronic store, and secondly there IS another option. Please read my post.

My credit card was "banned" from the Apple Store because a developer in Leipzig, without telling me, hit the card over and over trying to renew a subscription. I had changed my billing address. Apple does not permit explanations, appeals or try to resolve these matters. So I'm hurt, in that I cannot continue to use the program. As to your "there IS another option" I suppose I can buy a second license from Serif, but since Apple is--should be--only a payment processor and my relationship is with Serif, the method and manner of payment should not matter. I am Serif's customer, not Apple's. If you further don't believe that App Stores are blameless, just wait till the antitrust litigation starts. 

18 minutes ago, Dan C said:

@user099 Before purchasing the software, you have the option to either purchase from the Mac App Store (which links the purchase to your Apple ID and updates are always provided through the Mac App Store) or the Affinity Store (which links your purchase to a product key and updates are provided through the app/Affinity website).

Unfortunately after purchasing from one or the other, the purchase is locked to that method and cannot be changed, my apologies.

So it's an after the fact consequence that is unadvertised and withheld from the consumer. As to whether it cannot be changed, the product is software right? Then it's a question of commenting out a few lines and uncommenting out others. That doesn't sound like an impossibility to me. Of course, if you put Apple over your customers, that's up to you. It might work out for you. The fact that you've already uncommented those lines for sales from your own store suggests that you're hedging your bets. 

• Staff
17 minutes ago, user099 said:

So it's an after the fact consequence that is unadvertised and withheld from the consumer

I disagree, these terms are clearly laid out by Apple whenever creating a Mac App Store account, or downloading an application. We can't put this in the product description as we aren't allowed to refer to an external website where you can purchase the app - as Apple want the user to use their store.

It has always been the case that apps purchased through the Mac App Store have to be updated through the Mac App Store - this isn't something we control or have any say in and certainly doesn't only affect Affinity apps.

23 minutes ago, user099 said:

As to whether it cannot be changed, the product is software right? Then it's a question of commenting out a few lines and uncommenting out others.

My apologies but this is not how this works, there is much more that goes into preparing an app for the Mac App Store, compared to an app sold/installed externally.

24 minutes ago, user099 said:

Of course, if you put Apple over your customers, that's up to you. It might work out for you.

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with the update process for your purchase. I'm not sure why you feel this way as we offer 2 different options, one with the Mac App Store and one without.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

@user099 Is there a specific reason why you are so determined to be negative?

You got several answers to your question, some more friendly than others, but it seems you don't WANT to understand that there ARE different ways to buy and update your software and continue moaning and complaining about something that simply is not the way you portray / understand it.

1 hour ago, user099 said:

My credit card was "banned" from the Apple Store

Why would that affect your ability to update the Affinity programs? There is no purchase involved in doing that update as you already own the program.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Why would that affect your ability to update the Affinity programs? There is no purchase involved in doing that update as you already own the program.

You cannot update without a valid credit card. Thanks to Leipzig, mine was banned in the Apple Store. 

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

I disagree, these terms are clearly laid out by Apple whenever creating a Mac App Store account, or downloading an application. We can't put this in the product description as we aren't allowed to refer to an external website where you can purchase the app - as Apple want the user to use their store.

It has always been the case that apps purchased through the Mac App Store have to be updated through the Mac App Store - this isn't something we control or have any say in and certainly doesn't only affect Affinity apps.

My apologies but this is not how this works, there is much more that goes into preparing an app for the Mac App Store, compared to an app sold/installed externally.

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with the update process for your purchase. I'm not sure why you feel this way as we offer 2 different options, one with the Mac App Store and one without.

1. I don't recall seeing anywhere in Apple's T & C's that a software vendor is prohibited from updating any program purchased in the Apple Store. That's not to say it's hiding somewhere. 

2. Always? Maybe. Who knows? I'm not writing a history of Apple's T & C's. 

3. Inconvenient? No question. Impossible? Hardly. I left out two steps: you have to compile and then ship. 

4. You offer two options INITIALLY. After that, the customer is SOL. Buy a new license or pound sand. 

3 hours ago, Jens Krebs said:

@user099 Is there a specific reason why you are so determined to be negative?

You got several answers to your question, some more friendly than others, but it seems you don't WANT to understand that there ARE different ways to buy and update your software and continue moaning and complaining about something that simply is not the way you portray / understand it.

I am not asking about an initial purchase. I am questioning why a company that uses the Apple Store as one of its payment processors has no upgrade path for those who hold a valid license when that option is foreclosed. 

4 hours ago, user099 said:

I am Serif's customer, not Apple's.

When you purchase via the Mac App Store your contract is with Apple, so you are their customer rather than Serif’s.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

If you are unable to update your purchase through Apples Mac App Store, then this needs to be taken up with Apple. It sounds like you are unable to update your app through the Mac App Store, due to limitations put in place by Apple, so you will need to contact them for a resolution.

You are entitled to your updates, provided you are still covered by the terms of sale between yourself and Apple, when you purchased the app through the Mac App Store. I cannot comment on the specifics of these terms, as Affinity aren't involved in this process, and never have been. You may find that you're able to be refunded for the application, if you can no longer access the updates to the app - but again this will need to be discussed with Apple and not ourselves.

I'm very sorry to hear you've found no way to appeal this option, but we at Affinity have no say or control in this manner.

4 hours ago, user099 said:

I am Serif's customer, not Apple's.

We at Affinity have no control over credit cards, purchases, refunds, Apple ID or anything else Mac App Store related - it's simply used as a platform to distribute our software. Any purchase made through the Mac App Store means that you are a customer of Apple, and a user of our software. We're more than happy to help any users of our software as best we can, but this does not change the previous information.

There is no 'upgrade path' from the Mac App Store to the Affinity Store versions, this is mostly due to the above - as Apple don't provide us with any sales information, we cannot confirm who is an official 'owner' of the software when purchased through the Mac App Store, so we cannot transfer these licenses. I am certain that you could provide an invoice etc for the purchase, but this isn't deemed enough (as unfortunately documents can be faked rather easily.)

I will be locking this thread from further replies, as I have explained our position here and I feel no more requires adding. I'm very sorry to hear of the experience you've had with Apple and I wish we could assist further.