You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey guys!

Today I played around with the displace live filter.

It’s a very nice and powerful tool to simulate folds of cloths,

but also cracks in walls (like shown in one of the official tutorial

videos by Affinity), grainy paper textures and so on …

This is my first »tutorial« … ever. If you may call it one.

So forgive me for eventual mistakes.
Though It’s pretty much self-explanatory and not that hard

to follow, I think. ;)

Like I captioned the video: basically you want to create a separate

image with a greyscale profile (at least that’s how I do it), reduced

noise and texture plus a good balance between high, low and mid values.

Grey fabrics work best if you want to change the colour afterwards.

Maybe this helps, have fun playing around with different backgrounds!  ;)

Cheers
Dennis

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

Thanks guys, glad it’s helpful to you. :)

I felt the need to add this just for further explanation: you probably don't want to use the Gaussian blur filter on

paper grains/folds or other rough textures like walls or stones where you want to keep the general texture, as

every texture needs »special treatment«.

In this case I only wanted the folds to stand out. Without the Gaussian blur the streaked texture of the fabric itself

would have created massive noise-like distortions. It would look like this without the Gaussian blur, as the displace

filter has to much variance in high, low and mid tones to process.

post-5367-0-88438800-1440258883_thumb.png

It’s a bit like try and error sometimes, but that’s part of the fun.  :D

And the very, very awesome thing about the Affinity concept is that they’re build on nondestructive work.

So you may try different approaches until you get the effect right, even after saving and opening it the other day.

Yeah, you can tell I really like the live filters and adjustments … haha. :D

Thank you! :)

Not sure about the »rights management« here, but I just basically search for images like »shirt«, »t shirt«, »plain«, »blank« or »template« on google.

Should be okay as long as you don’t pin it on a billboard. Make sure you search for high resolution images (should be always the standard if you're

searching for images), choose any colour you like and choose »photos« as the image-type to make sure you get photos of shirts and nothing else.

Because I'm a nice guy I invested a couple of minutes and searched for some alternatives. :rolleyes:

Though their wrinkles aren't that strong, but good for mockups nonetheless: A B C

You could also search on graphicburger or similar sites for quality mockups (they got all kind of mockups, not just specifically shirts), though these are

manly designed for Photoshop and often contain smart objects that currently get converted into pixel layers in AP.

Ooor … you're really cool and take a photo of your own shirts with as much perfectly placed wrinkles as you like – I know, sounds pretty oldschool right? :D

Haha. I had thought of taking a picture of a t-shirt myself, but i don't have any grey ones, and then you also have to remove the background. Finding one on the internet is easier. I understand your concerns about rights, though. It's just that i want to practice your tutorial, that's it. I have found an image which is good enough.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Hey jmac, glad you liked the tutorial. :)

The swatches are actually the official Google Color Swatches they released on their sub-site »Google Design«.

They’re also describing how to use the colours by building schemes.

Besides loots of interesting insights in generell to read and watch,

I recommend to check the other categories such as »icons« as well. ;)

Have fun!

• 5 years later...
On 12/8/2020 at 8:23 AM, K Shaun said:

These design will only be printed on blank t shirt. am I right ?

Hey there,

I'm not quite sure I understand your question correctly. These instructions are about creating a mockup, not the actual file reproducible in screen or digital printing on the T-shirt.

The file for this would be created in advance. With the help of these instructions, a preview can then be created, e.g. for a customer, so that he or she can get a better idea of the design.

Apart from this, the colour of the garment for the mockup can of course be chosen freely. I recommend, however, to research the manufacturer on whose garment the design is to be applied later (i.e. the actual garment) and to adopt their colour as closely as possible in order to avoid colour deviations or misconceptions at the planning stage.

I hope this answers any side of your question.

Greetings
Dennis