You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: Inconsistent results with auto-levels

SavagePT

I believe i encontered a bug in Affinity Photo. It happens both with Stable 1.8.5.703 and Beta 1.9.0.734.

I can't find any logical explanation, so i'm assuming it's a bug.

It always happens. I tried with various old photos and the results are always the same. The steps are as follow:

1- I scan an old photo with my scanner software, open the resulting jpeg file in Affinity Photo, crop it and covert the colorspace to ProPhoto RGB. 

2- I click the auto-levels button on the top of the toolbar. I get a bad correction.

3- I undo the auto-levels and export to tiff. I reopen the image and click the auto-levels button on the top of the toolbar. I get a good correction.

Also:

1- I scan an old photo with my scanner software. 

2- Covert the photo to tiff and ProPhoto RGB using a Bath Job

3- Open the Photo, crop it and click the auto-levels button on the top of the toolbar. I get a bad correction.

3- I undo the auto-levels and export to tiff. I reopen the image and click the auto-levels button on the top of the toolbar. I get a good correction.

I'm attaching a couple of examples. and 2 screenshots of my export tiff settings and my batch job tiff settings. I didn't change the resolution and i didn't do anything else to the files i attached.

I'm also attaching one of the originals, directly from the scanner, if anyone wants to try.

Example1_Bad_Auto_Levels.tiff

Example1_Good_Auto_Levels.tiff

Example2_Bad_Auto_Levels.tiff

Example2_Good_Auto_Levels.tiff

Batch Job Settings.jpg

Original_From_Scanner.jpg

Tiff Export Settings.jpg

Example1_Bad_Auto_Levels.tiff Example1_Good_Auto_Levels.tiff Example2_Bad_Auto_Levels.tiff Example2_Good_Auto_Levels.tiff

Edited by SavagePT
Bad uploads

• Staff

Hi @SavagePT,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

This is not really a bug. Our crop tool is not destructive by default, so the cropped area is still accessible, unless you right click on the layer > rasterise and trim. So, if you don't trim it, it will auto-level the entire image, not just the cropped area.