You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text on aPath

Have been trying out text on a path.  

Findings:

AP has crashed for me exclusively, but sporadically when I am using text on a path.  Could be a font issue, don’t know.  Have not recorded screen captures as this happens sporadically.

difficult for me to initially start the text path.  Perhaps that is because I don’t use designer a great deal and haven’t experienced this function.

when I get it started, easy to us the art text tool, am able to change fonts in midstream, size, colour etc.  

Difficulty at time to select particularly when the text has wrapped around under the curve.  

Have saved a curve, copied and then paste on another image.  

Have no idea how or when to use convert to curves (perhaps a tutorial would be appropriate in the future)

But randomly, when I am closing the app, AP crashes. 

Have been sending the report through FlightTest 

However, I have noted in some cases that devs are asking to submit crash reports thru this site.  

These reports I am seeing have a particular thread that deals exclusivesly with the Photo App, AP, plus other threads that report crash reports that show Crash reports.  

Hoping that the information needed gets sent to the correct places so that you can see what is going on.  

53 minutes ago, p_mac said:

Have been trying out text on a path.  

Findings:

AP has crashed for me exclusively, but sporadically when I am using text on a path.  Could be a font issue, don’t know.  Have not recorded screen captures as this happens sporadically.

difficult for me to initially start the text path.  Perhaps that is because I don’t use designer a great deal and haven’t experienced this function.

when I get it started, easy to us the art text tool, am able to change fonts in midstream, size, colour etc.  

Difficulty at time to select particularly when the text has wrapped around under the curve.  

Have saved a curve, copied and then paste on another image.  

Have no idea how or when to use convert to curves (perhaps a tutorial would be appropriate in the future)

But randomly, when I am closing the app, AP crashes. 

Have been sending the report through FlightTest 

However, I have noted in some cases that devs are asking to submit crash reports thru this site.  

These reports I am seeing have a particular thread that deals exclusivesly with the Photo App, AP, plus other threads that report crash reports that show Crash reports.  

Hoping that the information needed gets sent to the correct places so that you can see what is going on.  

I can’t find any problems with text on a path and did not expect there to be any as the functionality has been built in for a long time, it was only the lack of a UI method of invoking the function,. It makes my TextOnCurve macro redundant now from my Mud’s Macros pack.

It is a difficult function to master initially until you use the BASELINE setting in the Font Studio - Text Positioning. Also understanding that the curve vanishes and a duplicate curve is needed if you want both the text and the curve to be visible.

Saying that, there is clearly a fonts problem linked to iPadOS14 as it causes AP & AD to crash on versions V1.8 and the V1.9 beta when you try to install a font via preferences so I guess it could make an appearance at other times too. 

2820972A-79DC-4048-9192-4D8402EE2E3A.png

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Thanks for your response 

4 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

I can’t find any problems with text on a path and did not expect there to be any as the functionality has been built in for a long time, it was only the lack of a UI method of invoking the function,. It makes my TextOnCurve macro redundant now from my Mud’s Macros pack.

It is a difficult function to master initially until you use the BASELINE setting in the Font Studio - Text Positioning. Also understanding that the curve vanishes and a duplicate curve is needed if you want both the text and the curve to be visible.

Saying that, there is clearly a fonts problem linked to iPadOS14 as it causes AP & AD to crash on versions V1.8 and the V1.9 beta when you try to install a font via preferences so I guess it could make an appearance at other times too. 

I am still on iPadOS13 and I have no problem importing fonts that I have downloaded from various places.  So it is quite possible that it is a font problem, except they are all standard .otf fonts.

Initially master function is daunting as I said that I haven’t been using this in AD and have no idea re: Baseline settings in the Font Studio.  

I have looked for video from AD to learn about this and the Help section in AP is very curt and not at all helpful.  It assumes that ones is well versed in the topic.  

Anyway, the developers are being sent info when the crashes happen.  Hope they can figure this out.  As I said it always crashes when closing the app.

22 hours ago, p_mac said:

loaded three .otf fonts, very easily, BUT

Are you installing fonts using Affinity or installing with font installer?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

I opened AP and used each font that I loaded into AP yesterday, saved the image, opened it again, four times. Closed the app and reopened several time and had no crash.

Yet yesterday, just loading these fonts made the app crash on close.

The one thing that I noticed was the very long time it took to save (right arrow), as though it was stuck.  

But if I didn’t use the font(s), the save happened instantly.  

Crazy.  Every font I have imported thru AP is useable, but … 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.