You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cant export photos to Apple photo

Hi I have to apologise as I seem to keep getting the same problem. when editing is complete I used to save and they would transfer back to Apple photos. since Mojave this has not been possible and after a few attempts and getting possible scenarios from people on here I seem to have rectified the issue. However every time there is an upgrade whether it be by Affinity or Apple the issue returns. Also now every time I've exported my photo's I can't get them back or find out where they have gone and to add every time I do this my Affinity freezes and I have to force quit on an iMac to close the screen. I am not pc savvy but do try. I am using Catalina version 10-15-6 any help would be really appreciated many thanks. 

this is what I get when I try to send back to Apple phot's after I've exported them

Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 12.10.34.png

Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 12.10.34.png

I will just say I never been able to save a photo to Apple Photos, by the Save Command.  A workaround is Export, lower left, Share and Save Image.  18 months plus, AP 3.0? 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Please excuse my ignorance Cecil but not pc save but don't understand with your Export, lower left, share and save? I do export and previously I was told if I did that then I could save my photo's to Apple photo's which did work, however with the updates on both Apple and Affinity I seem to lose the option to save to apple phot's. this has only happened since the upgrade to Catalina, was always able to just close and then save to Apple both with Sierra and Mojave but not Catalina something to do with 32bit and 64bit, but as said I'm not [c savvy. your help would be very much appreciated many thanks

• Staff

The method @Cecil mentions Export > Share > Save is for saving to Photos from Affinity Photo on iPadOS. On macOS the issue can sometimes be intermittent, try the following workflow.

1. In Photos, right click your image and select Edit With > Affinity Photo
  2. Make adjustments to the image
  3. Use File > Save, if prompted select Save Flattened. If you have Photos open you will see the image update with the adjustments
  4. In Affinity Photo File > Close

1 hour ago, Lee D said:

The method @Cecil mentions Export > Share > Save is for saving to Photos from Affinity Photo on iPadOS. On macOS the issue can sometimes be intermittent, try the following workflow.

1. In Photos, right click your image and select Edit With > Affinity Photo
  2. Make adjustments to the image
  3. Use File > Save, if prompted select Save Flattened. If you have Photos open you will see the image update with the adjustments
  4. In Affinity Photo File > Close

When did AP delete/removed Edit In from macOS?  I never revisited this on macOS, as I always received Failed Error trying to save.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

7 hours ago, Cecil said:

When did AP delete/removed Edit In from macOS?

Do you mean the 'Edit In' feature of Apple Photos? If so, it is still there.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you mean the 'Edit In' feature of Apple Photos? If so, it is still there.

Based on @Lee D post I opened Apple Photos, right clicked on the Photo and Edit With, no Edit In.  I failed at the time to check if double clicking the Apple Photo, Edit, ..., Edit In function worked.  So I tried. I made changes and behold, as if AP was designed to do so, my changes were saved to Apple Photos.  It actually worked.  I had forgotten, as @Lee D pointed out that Export, Share, Save Image was iPad only function.  The problems I experienced last 18 months, I would just Export to HD, bypassing Save to Apple Photos, if on iMac. So I guess it works for some, based on first post in thread.

Cecil 

21 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Based on @Lee D post I opened Apple Photos, right clicked on the Photo and Edit With, no Edit In.

I just tried the right-click > Edit With item for the first time on this iMac running Catalina. To my great surprise, I got a huge list of apps, including multiple beta versions of all three Affinity apps, two versions of an app no longer on my Mac, plus current & older versions of a few others!

Hovering the pointer over any of them reveals a 'tooltip' popup showing the file path to each of them, which indicates that most of them are on Time Machine backups. I did not try opening anything using those backup versions -- I thought it was weird that it even showed them.

In limited testing, the Edit > Extensions > Edit In Affinity Photo option seems to be working fine for me. The only odd thing about it is all the Affinity extension items are listed twice, once for the current retail & once for the current beta version installed on this Mac, with no indication of which is which. But both retail & beta Edit In Affinity Photo options work.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. The Edit In Affinity Photo option works fine with the jpg files I tested but not with some tiff files in my Photos Library.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7