You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Highpass does not turn picture gray and other problems after using highpass

Bryan Boly

On the iPad version of Affinity Photo I noticed a recent issue with highpass. I didn’t notice it turning my picture gray like it normally did. I tried multiple things to see what the problem was, but none worked. I tried undoing highpass and recreating the duplicate, but it didn’t work. I restarted Affinity Photo, opened the afphoto again, and redid my first attempt to fix it, but it didn’t work, I restarted my iPad then, opened Affinity Photo, opened the picture to work on, created a duplicate, and then tried highpass again. I still saw that the picture wasn’t gray. I went ahead and tried to see if the blends would work and they did, but not as normal. All the blends except for erase made the picture darker in different ways, such as, shadows, highlights, or even the whole picture. Highpass is to help make the picture look sharper not darker.

I also noticed after finding the best blend mode I could find that nothing else I did to help the dark shadows of the blend I used worked. Not shadows/highlights, not contrast/brightness, not even exposure worked on neither duplicate or the original picture. Please help me find the solution to my problem or bug Serif, thanks.

7 hours ago, Bryan Boly said:

Any ideas on how to fix this?

The simplest thing to do is power cycle the iPad to clear ram. Hold power button off until you get the slider. Then slide off. Wait a few seconds and power back on. Surprisingly it remedies quite a few of these wired issues. (Apple OS is getting as bad as Microsoft) 🤭

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

1 minute ago, DM1 said:

The simplest thing to do is power cycle the iPad to clear ram. Hold power button off until you get the slider. Then slide off. Wait a few seconds and power back on. Surprisingly it remedies quite a few of these wired issues. (Apple OS is getting as bad as Microsoft) 🤭

I did try that and it sadly didn’t work. And you are right, but Microsoft is getting better in some areas... slowly.

One more thing. Depending on how you created/loaded the image the Layer MAY be an image layer. If so you need to rasterise the layer before you can edit any pixels. 

76BA8CBE-7005-4725-BFFA-4250D0DF5356.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

18 hours ago, neevacii said:

The two most commonly-used blend modes for sharpening images with High Pass are Overlay and Soft Light. Overlay produces a higher contrast effect, resulting in a stronger amount of sharpening, while Soft Light gives you lower contrast and more subtle sharpening.

Thank you for the facts, but in my case no. I use linear light and pin light most often.