You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is this legit? Didn't know Serif had resellers?

Interesting question, in particular their "multi-platform' offer, which is requested in the forum occasionally.

1073857419_affinitymulti-platform.jpg.5543a09eff15bb4c043027f856bef561.jpg

21 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

a currency that is abbreviated with "GST"

To me it is presented in Dollar, I suppose Australian Dollar (which would mean the offer is slightly more expensive than in the Serif store)

691679565_affinitymulti-platform2.jpg.4e6a13b21550c482ce84b75d82c6cb9c.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

The curious thing about that offer to me is the "load onto two" verbiage. It is different from the 'all that you own or control' licensing info I would expect for a purchase of the Mac version from either the Mac or Serif Affinity stores.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Cherri International is a legitimate reseller for Affinity Sofware

Not sure how they get to supply it as "multi platform" though, maybe that is something Serif will be offering to everyone in the future (?)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Serif does provide multi-platform licenses to volume purchasers of the applications. Businesses wanting more than some minimum number of licenses can take advantage of that, and use their licenses for either Mac or Windows.

Possibly Cherri International has simply purchased "x" number of those multi-platform licenses, and is reselling them to their customers. Their sales pages seem to indicate that the have 100 licenses for Photo available, and 1000 licenses each for Designer and Publisher.

Note, too, that licenses purchased from Cherri International, though usable on either Mac or Windows, are restricted to use on only 2 systems, unlike the unlimited number of systems we get with our individual purchases from Serif, the Mac Store, or the Windows Store.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

GST is the Goods and Services Tax

A bit like VAT in the UK, I suppose

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, carl123 said:

GST is the Goods and Services Tax

A bit like VAT in the UK, I suppose

Off topic...

When visiting this thread a little while ago, before I had fully awakened, I read GST as G&T. Now, I know it's "five o'clock" somewhere (like England right about now) so I'll need to hold off for a while before I make one...

I'm just wondering what the advantage is of buying from Cherri, rather than directly from Serif, (It seems more expensive from Cherri,) unless of course you can't buy directly from Serif in Australia. 

Incidentally. I see that someone is selling Affinity Photo for £5 (cheaper for bulk copies!) on eBay, with "more than 10 available". I wonder if this is dodgy, or something to do with reselling volume licences that's legit?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I'm just wondering what the advantage is of buying from Cherri, rather than directly from Serif, (It seems more expensive from Cherri,) unless of course you can't buy directly from Serif in Australia. 

If I did my VPN experiments correctly just now (and that is not guaranteed):

• Yes, you can buy directly from Serif in Australia.
  • The cost is A$79.99.

That would mean that Cherri is charging approximately A$20 more. For that extra amount you would get a license allowing you to run the software on either Mac or PC, which is a good savings over buying one license for each from Serif. But you can only use your software on 2 machines if purchased from Cherri.

You would need to do the math for your particular current (or planned) machine configurations to see which makes more sense for you.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

16 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I'm just wondering what the advantage is of buying from Cherri,

If you have both a MAC and a PC then it's looking like only one purchase is needed not 2

I wonder if a UK/US user could purchase directly on that Australian website and get both "licenses" that way, rather than having to pay twice via the usual Serif route(s) 

Just now, carl123 said:

I wonder if a UK/US user could purchase directly on that Australian website and get both "licenses" that way, rather than having to pay twice via the usual Serif route(s) 

US, no, as they have a very limited list of countries you can use when providing your address during checkout. Though it's possible one could lie about their physical address, I suppose.

France, or Canada, or the UK, or several others: Apparently yes, but I did not try.

-- Walt
PC:

It all seems very complicated to "a bear with very little brain" like me! I think I'll just stick with buying direct from Serif. 😜

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 minute ago, PaulEC said:

It all seems very complicated to "a bear with very little brain" like me! I think I'll just stick with buying direct from Serif. 😜

I am also wondering what happens when there is a paid upgrade to 2.x.x. Plus there have been various free brushes and textures and fonts on offer from Serif for us actual real customers.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

19 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Plus there have been various free brushes and textures and fonts on offer from Serif for us actual real customers.

Those have also been available for users who purchased from the Mac App Store or the Windows Store. The application Welcome Screen has a link to the Serif Store that lets you download if you have an account there, or lets you create an account if you don't have one yet.

In theory that should work for users who've purchased the application from some other reseller.

-- Walt
PC:

23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Note, too, that licenses purchased from Cherri International, though usable on either Mac or Windows, are restricted to use on only 2 systems, unlike the unlimited number of systems we get with our individual purchases from Serif, the Mac Store, or the Windows Store.

That is what I thought was weird about it, too. I am not sure about the licensing terms for commercial bulk purchases but as I understand it they are available only for considerably more than just 2 seats. Also, if Cherri International made a bulk purchase I cannot see how they could resell individual sets of 2 licenses to any other entity, commercial or otherwise. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Unless someone from Serif decides to comment about how they deal with their legitimate resellers, we may never know what's going on.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

So, https://affinitysoftware.com.au/ are legit resellers for Australia/New Zealand and neighbouring islands but their website should not be accessible to users outside of those regions. Also, the 'Multi-Platform' wording is also incorrect. We'll speak with them to get access and the wording corrected - thanks for bringing it to our attention 👍

18 minutes ago, Leigh said:

Also, the 'Multi-Platform' wording is also incorrect.

While "Multi-Platform" could simply mean that it's available for Windows and Mac, the more detailed text which appears on cherricomputers.com (i.e. after clicking one of the "buy" buttons in your link) might be more relevant for legal aspects:

Serif 'Affinity' allows this product to load onto two Mac and / or PC.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1