You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Solved) Error when drawing a straight line (1.9.0.734)

When i draw a normal Line with the Brush Tool, everything is ok. But when i want to draw a straight line with the Brush Tool and holding the shift key, an other Line will be added immediately before the drawing begins.
I press the Shift Key first and then i begin to draw.

The next Video shows it better....

It doesn´t matter if i enable or disable Open CL, the result ist the same.
Same Behavior in the current Version 1.8.5.703.

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

1 hour ago, Uwe367 said:

I press the Shift Key first and then i begin to draw.

I don't think there is a bug there.

You are getting the designed behaviour for a brush-based tool when the shift key is already depressed when you begin to paint: a straight connecting line is automatically painted from the terminal location of the previous use of the tool, or from top left corner if the tool is being used for the first time since the document was opened.

To paint a horizontal or vertical line without an automatic preceding connecting line, begin painting and then depress the shift key after the initial drag of the brush.

This happens not only with a Document which is opened and where i already have drawn something. This happens also with a new clean Document where i want to draw a straight line at first.

4 hours ago, anon2 said:

begin painting and then depress the shift key after the initial drag of the brush

This doesn´t work for me. The Result is the same as a Freehand line.
From other Graphic Programs i know that you press at first the key, then begin to draw and you get a straight line.

Have a nice day.

9 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

This happens not only with a Document which is opened and where i already have drawn something. This happens also with a new clean Document where i want to draw a straight line at first.

Yes, that is the designed behaviour for when shift is depressed before beginning to paint, and so it is not a bug.

13 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:
4 hours ago, anon2 said:

begin painting and then depress the shift key after the initial drag of the brush

This doesn´t work for me. The Result is the same as a Freehand line.

I use a Mac where that works. Maybe there's a bug in the app on Windows.

15 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

From other Graphic Programs i know that you press at first the key, then begin to draw and you get a straight line.

Yes, but the Affinity developers have decided to do it differently.

9 minutes ago, anon2 said:

I use a Mac where that works. Maybe there's a bug in the app on Windows.

Ok, this would explain why it works right with your System. I use a Windows PC and i have no Mac to compare it.
When i begin to draw and then press the shift key, it´s like i draw freehand and i get a weavy line.
I believe that it is a Bug in the Windows Version. Let´s wait what Affinity says.

Have a nice day.

2 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

Ok, this would explain why it works right with your System. I use a Windows PC and i have no Mac to compare it.
When i begin to draw and then press the shift key, it´s like i draw freehand and i get a weavy line.

It works on Windows, too.

You need to make a very tiny movement of the mouse after clicking.

Alternatively, you can Click at the beginning point of the line, and then Shift+Click at the ending point.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Alternatively, you can Click at the beginning point of the line, and then Shift+Click at the ending point.

This works well. So it´s not a Softwarebug, it was a user error of mine
Thank you @walt.farrell

Have a nice day.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.