You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo crash on launch macOS Catalina

I just moved from a Mojave-based iMac to a Catalina-based MBP 16. I downloaded the latest version of Photo, but it won't launch at all; it just crashes every time I launch the app.

I've seen some reports of font issues with Photo crashes, and I do have a fair amount of fonts installed. That said, I work as a designer, and use a lot of fonts, and I had no issues with a similar setup on the iMac -- Photo ran just fine.

I've attached my crash log for the most recent attempt... any help that anyone here can provide would be most appreciated.

Rick

Affinity Photo_2020-09-19-115420_irving-penn.crash

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

Also did you purchase the app direct from us or via the Microsoft Store?

If the OP is running Catalina on a MBP, the app probably was not purchased from the Microsoft Store.... 🤔

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
53 minutes ago, R C-R said:

If the OP is running Catalina on a MBP, the app probably was not purchased from the Microsoft Store.... 🤔

Whoops, seems i managed to hit all the wrong keys 😂 Totally my mistake and a good reason why i should have two cups of coffee in the morning and not one

Have you ever checked your fonts with the Macs font book for irregularities ?

Just open the font list and move down the list font by font (I use the down arrow for that). If a font has a problem, it will show a yellow triangle at the bottom (if there are many subcontinent in a package, you need to scroll down to the end of the font page) and offer a fix.

Beside this Catalina is quite sensitive for the privacy & security settings. Go to the Macs settings, Security & Privacy, open all tabs and categories, scroll down each list and check all options related to Photo. Takes a moment, but needs to be done only once.

Yes, I'm pretty good abut making sure my fonts are valid, but I double-checked them, to be sure. I also turned off the Creative Cloud font stuff (which I use for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign work), but still nothing.

Odd thing is that I did download an App Store version (which I bought a long time ago and forgot about, honestly), and it runs fine.

Frustrating, though...

ok -- finally got it to work with the version from the Affinity website. I went through, wiped all traces of the app -- prefs, etc. — and reinstalled. This time, everything worked fine.

Not sure what exactly happened, but it's working fine now.

I appreciate the help.