You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML-Import isn't able to import double-layout pages

Hi,

we try to import an IDML-File fro our designer, because he is using Adobe InDesign and we want to use Affinity Publisher for our magazine.

we just found out that the master pages are not imported as double-pages (one left, one right) but as one page (DIN A4 vertical instead of two DIN A5-horizontal).

in your video regarding IDML-Import, we can see that in your pages-view you have "pages 2,3" and "pages 4.5". In our import we only see "page 4" and "page 5".

can you see why this happens? I tried it with Publisher 1.8.0 and 1.8.5.

UniSono Layout_Reinzeichnung.idml

2 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Hi,

we try to import an IDML-File fro our designer, because he is using Adobe InDesign and we want to use Affinity Publisher for our magazine.

we just found out that the master pages are not imported as double-pages (one left, one right) but as one page (DIN A4 vertical instead of two DIN A5-horizontal).

in your video regarding IDML-Import, we can see that in your pages-view you have "pages 2,3" and "pages 4.5". In our import we only see "page 4" and "page 5".

can you see why this happens? I tried it with Publisher 1.8.0 and 1.8.5.

UniSono Layout_Reinzeichnung.idml 247.25 kB · 0 downloads

I'm also using Windows. Opening your .idml in IDCS6, I see this for your Master pages and the first set of pages:

Capture_000724.png.2a3af066e18ec47e8f83e60f94a747c6.pngCapture_000725.png.f34fb6084c4987daf31ea0d50a5649f1.png

Opening you .idml in APub, I see almost the exact same:

The only missing master page is the [None] master page.

23 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Yes, but do you see Page 10 and forward? These are the relevant pages which _should_ be pages 10-11, Pages 12-13. And that is at least for us interesting enough ;)

Oops...looks like I lived up to my "title" under my name!

Yep, you're correct.

OK. I got back to this after trying a couple things as my mea culpa.

If the ID or .idml file is opened in ID, the initial single pages are selected and, from the pages menu, the choice to allow Allow Selected Pages to Shuffle is chosen, the re-exported/Saved As a new .idml, APub will open that .idml file properly.

Seems APub cannot deal with a mix of single pages and spreads. Which, of course, is a dumb choice to not allow the mix. Even if APub needs to make the individual pages into spreads, it would be better than making all pages into single pages, including spreads into single pages.

Both QXP and Viva Designer open the .idml file properly with the single/spread mix.

• Staff

Hi both,

I'm not entirely surprised by this behaviour. We can't currently have a mixture of single pages and facing pages. I would say converting it during import to either single spread or multi-spread would be wrong, so we're trying to work around this by changing the page size to accommodate the mix. I don't think this is exactly a bug, but a missing feature. 

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hi both,

I'm not entirely surprised by this behaviour. We can't currently have a mixture of single pages and facing pages. I would say converting it during import to either single spread or multi-spread would be wrong, so we're trying to work around this by changing the page size to accommodate the mix. I don't think this is exactly a bug, but a missing feature. 

Combining single pages to spreads is less wrong than making the import into double-sized single pages.