You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unexpected visual artefacts when moving/manipulating a rectangle/parallelogram with OpenCL acceleration switched on

Windows 10 Home 2004, Designer 1.9.0.734 (all drivers up-to-date).

Watch the video to see what happens.
With OpenCL acceleration switched OFF everything looks fine.
However, after switching OpenCL acceleration switched ON, I get some very strange things happening.

I've attached a screengrab of my preferences dialog. (Video is from external monitor but laptop screen shows the same issue.)

Screenshot 2020-09-19 091059.png

I've also attached the file for testing purposes.

parallelogram.afdesign

I’ve attached another video showing the same problem when manipulating a simple rectangle.

Quite possibly, but don't know what I would need to check/change to stop it happening (other than switching the OpenCL acceleration option off).

It might be nice to know that I wasn't alone on this; it might help to figure out which bit of my set-up was 'wrong'.

Yes, i can reproduce this issue as well, in my case it's only happen when dealing with rectangle with the shape edited (rotated, skewed etc.), other shapes seems fine. Ah and one more thing that i notice, the issue is gone when the rectangle got an outline filled (stroke width is not 0 pt).

Thanks for confirming the problem Aongus Collins and sandyadriadi.

I haven’t done exhaustive tests but I’ve tried creating and manipulating the size, shear and rotation of all the shapes (including the cat) and, as sandyadriadi says above, this issue only seems to happen for layers which have been created with the Rectangle Tool. (I haven’t tried any other tools with the beta so far so I don’t know if the problem extends further than the shapes.)

I can get the issue to occur when the shape has no stroke or a small stroke with but the effect seems to disappear when the stroke width goes above 0.3mm (or thereabouts), however the effect comes back (slightly differently) when I zoom in. See attached video.

If this is a problem with my setup then someone will need to tell me how to fix it as I have very little experience with graphics card maintenance and settings (I install using a “typical” set-up and just leave it alone in case I break anything). Having said that, I would expect the software to not let me switch the option on if I couldn’t use it for compatibility reasons.

Obviously this is beta software and it’s the first time the software has been given the option so it won’t be perfect just yet, but I’m guessing most users won’t be graphic setup gurus and won’t be able to troubleshoot this sort of thing themselves.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

I can get the issue to occur when the shape has no stroke or a small stroke with but the effect seems to disappear when the stroke width goes above 0.3mm (or thereabouts), however the effect comes back (slightly differently) when I zoom in. See attached video.

Hello Gerry,
the same here

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.