You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cant save/edit file now that there are too many links?

So I seemed to have broken the files I have been working on the for past month by adding too many linked files to the publisher document, and now I can't do anything to them.

I'm working on a school book project with lots of text / artwork, and have been working on turning all of the artwork into native afdesign files linked inside a publisher document so that for any edits down the road, it'll be easy to keep all the artwork up to date. The document is 18 pages and I added the alphabet as headers into master pages on every page, the alphabet file is one file per page (two total), but the file inside is 13 letters for a total of 26 letters that are all set to linked. I think what publisher did is that because they were on the master page created different links for every page it was on, creating 18*26 new linked files in the document ontop of all of the others. It crashed after saving, and now when I open the file I can't make any changes to it (trying to delete the links will delete them, but saving just leaves the app in a lul, opening the resource manager causes a crash, trying to do anything in the file just does nothing). Tried restarting the computer, no change, really need help in getting access to my file again and also in dealing with this linked document limit.

• Staff

Hi @EpicBlob,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this file! This certainly isn't something I've seen happen before, so I'm going to need a copy of your file to investigate this further.

Can you please upload a copy of your .afpub to the below link, alongside any linked documents, then reply here to let me know once this has been completed?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/HYEIVvcITq1HSE2n2pxc

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks for replying @Dan C , the documents are private and I can't share them sadly, did figure out a fix though.

So whenever the document would open, after a few seconds a bunch of windows would pop up with the error that there are too many files open in the program (each window would list a file) then the app would lock up. The fix was temporarily moving all of the linked files that were causing an error to a new location so the publisher file didn't attempt to load them, and I could get into the file and delete/make changes to the file. When finished, I just moved the files back to their original locations. 

Is there anywhere that shows a limit to how many files can be in a document? Worked around it by making my publisher files less pages, but also ran into the issue of if document A is under the threshold of file limit and document B is under the threshold, but I'm unable to open both files at the same time because A and B combined is higher than the allowed threshold.

1 hour ago, EpicBlob said:

The fix was temporarily moving all of the linked files that were causing an error to a new location so the publisher file didn't attempt to load them, and I could get into the file and delete/make changes to the file. When finished, I just moved the files back to their original locations. 

Tip: This doesn't solve your problem but if you just rename the folder holding the files the same unlinking will occur. Easier to just add a word to a Folder name and then delete that word afterwards.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

No problem at all, many thanks for letting me know!

15 hours ago, EpicBlob said:

Is there anywhere that shows a limit to how many files can be in a document? Worked around it by making my publisher files less pages, but also ran into the issue of if document A is under the threshold of file limit and document B is under the threshold, but I'm unable to open both files at the same time because A and B combined is higher than the allowed threshold.

There's certainly no 'hard' limit set, and the app will allow you to link an infinite number of documents - however it sounds as though you may be experiencing a memory shortage on your machine, where the application is struggling to load the linked files into RAM, then begins writing temporary files to your hard drive which in turn slows/locks the app up.

What system specs are you working with please?

How many documents do you have linked to each half?

What type and size (generally) are these linked documents?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!