You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Large Publisher File Won't work

hello,

I have a large file that I made yesterday for printing. There is no text, only scanned PDF's. The file construction went beautifully--All 122 pages. Very little if any lag was present. The file itself is only 37MB but the links are 3.6GB

Today, I attempt to make a minor change of one page of a PDF to another in the link and it just freezes or very long lags.

I thought it was because I was running over a server, though, I was yesterday too. But when I tried local, the file would never even open even after 20 minutes of "Loading".

My computer should be not be underpowered it's i9, 16" MBP with 64GB RAM and 2TB of space.

It seems that Affinity is too connected to links, even when they are not embedded.

Everything else seems to work fine. 

Is there anything I can do?

Having a similar issue. Creating a book that has many linked afdesigner files inside of it, but I reached the point in the file that "too many files are open on the system" and now I cant even delete links from the file so that I can save it! Wanting to save the file as a new one and break it down into two files, but opening the file no commands/key presses seem to do anything.

I found that if I rename the folder that I have the links it changes immediately and it works perfectly. This is an issue. The performance should not be tied to how well it has access to links in memory.

But in that I found another problem if you relink it loads only the first page in all of the missing links rather than the appropriate pages.

• Staff

@Bryce Is the file (.afpub) you're working on being loaded and saved to a local location?  We have had some files become corrupted due to loading/saving over a network or when syncing to a cloud storage. The same applies to the linked files local or external/cloud? In what way did you change the folder name, can you provide an example of how it was and how it is now?

@Bryce had the same issue and resolution, moving the linked files to a temporary location to get back into the file, then move the linked back to their original places. I didn't have the first page issue though.

Yeah, it doesn't seem right that setting up a document of links kills performance like this. I recall indesign links not causing this much perf. issue, and you could set the quality to low for images to save on performance (while in publisher it looks like linked docs are at their full resolution)

@Lee D

For me I'm using dropbox with another person, were both logged into the same dropbox account and save files directly to the dropbox. All of the files (publisher files and linked files) are inside the dropbox.

15 hours ago, Bryce said:

I have backups of the files but it will only open if the links are not connected.

If it was me, I would start relinking the files one by one (or in groups if there are a lot of them) to try to rule out a corrupt file (or two) being the source of the problem

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

That is the issue as soon as you relink hte first one it starts the spinning beach ball. I do have an update. I let it sit for hours and it finally came through and finished. Even though it finished, it was wrong because it linked to the first page of the PDF document. That is a bug that must be fixed, and hopefully soon. I then went and updated each and every page with the correct page of the PDF. Something is not right when links take that long, considering that is the point of links to make the document more manageable. 

27 minutes ago, Bryce said:

I let it sit for hours and it finally came through and finished

That sounds like it was linking all files not just one

There is a way in Publisher that if you move all linked files to another directory then tell Publisher to link one of the files then if it finds other unlinked files in that same directory it will also link those automatically.

If you were using Windows you could possibly look at the process threads to see what files Publisher was accessing during the hours it took to load but I don't know how to do that on a MAC

The only other suggestion I have is that you ZIP up all the files and send them privately to one of the support staff for further investigation

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You could give the latest Beta a try and see if that helps. I believe there is some changes to PDF handling and even PDF pass through with the latest beta. So with a focus of PDF updates it might be something that helps you in this situation. This really should be a simple thing, files placed in Publisher. You edit the linked files and it should either auto update in Publisher or tell you to manually update the file with the click of a button.