You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Beta 1.9.0.742] Degrading performance

The document I work on is pretty small (~25 pages). I've noticed, that the performance gets worse and worse the longer I work on it. If I re-open Publisher, the performance is normal again. The performance issues I'm experiencing include:

• Focusing another Text Area takes more and more time
  • When a Paragraph flows to an attached Text Area, it takes more and more time for the view to update. I.e. the paragraph is basically shown on both Text Areas. After some time the Paragraph disappears from the first Text Area.
  • Typing responsiveness gets worse and worse.

I've noticed before, that if the History Pane is open and active (i.e. you can see the History entries) the performance drops a lot, especially if there is a longer History Log. Maybe this is related to the History Log filling up?

@Gabe Thanks for getting back to me!

Well it only occurs after ~2 hours of working with the document. The more I edit tables, text areas, etc. the slower it gets. Last time I worked on my document for about 3 hours, and clicking took >1 second to actually focus the object I was clicking on.

I can still attach my document, if you send me a dropbox link, but I don't think you'll find that there's something wrong with the document. As I said, it looks like there is some kind of memory leak that degrades performance.

@Gabe Uploaded a file and also a screen record. Here's a summary of what the issue is or how it occurs (once it can occur).

1. Click on Text Area with Text Area Tool
  2. Click outside of the Text Area.
  3. Change Tool to Move Tool
  4. Click the Text Area
  5. HANGS for 1-2 seconds.

Generally speaking, changing Tools and clicking a Text Area has huge perfomance problems. But as I said, this only happens when Affinity Publisher is open for a while.

From my experience regardless of retail or beta version: APu is getting slower working constantly on a document. But I have some measures to avoid lags:

A) Not having Assets panel open, as it takes render / CPU time (from my experience).

B) Text Styles (panel) not showing samples.

C) Depending on the complexity of the document page (sometimes thousands of elements on a single page) reducing snapping options to a minimum.

D) Having installed fonts / ICC profiles reduced to what is really needed. From time to time I clean them up.

E) Sometimes after saving or other actions the page elements get blurry or unresponsive I can revive APu by simply using the keyboard shortcut CTRL+N for creating a new document.

HTH

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@Gabe I will try to reproduce it in a new document. Is there some developer snapshot I could use that has extended logging or something similar so I can help you provide more information?

EDIT: I think you actively have to use APu in order for the performance to degrade. Just having it open is apparently not enough. If you keep changing the focus of text areas, tables, and switch back and forth from the Move Tool, Text Area Tool and Table Tool, the performance gets worse and worse.

Interestingly this doesn't seem to be a linear degradation, but affected by certain actions only.

• Staff
21 minutes ago, johannesz said:

I will try to reproduce it in a new document. Is there some developer snapshot I could use that has extended logging or something similar so I can help you provide more information?

I'm afraid no :(. You said initially that 

On 9/18/2020 at 7:16 PM, johannesz said:

If I re-open Publisher, the performance is normal again

What if you just save the document close and re-open it, without closing the app? Or just create a new doc as @Joachim_L suggested

When changing Tools there is a small spike (~10%) in CPU and GPU activity, but that is to be expected.

I've tried the following, but that did not help:

• Disable Snapping
  • Disable Text Style Preview
  • Opening a new document using Ctrl+N
    • (what I'm I supposed to do here; create a new document and load my current document?)
    • Creating a new document, closing the work document, and loading it doesn't help
      • Seems like, this performance degradation applies to APu globally. Only restarting seems to help.
  • Close the Asset Panel

What I've been doing before this issue occured:

• Searched for a text, and manually replaced ~6 occurences, each in a different Text Area
  • Added 2 new pages
  • Added some text to the newly created pages
  • Moved a table from an existing Text Area to the new page
    • (Since I've had troubles with tables in older versions before, this is what suspect the most)
  • Locked my PC around 5 times
  • APu was open for at least 2 hours

I'll reply with more tests later

• 1 year later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.