You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can someone else buy Photo on another PC and send me the key as a means of gifting?

Hello. Since there isn't a gifting option available, is it possible for someone else to make an account and buy Affinity Photo on their PC, and just send me the key that is emailed to them as a means of buying it for me? Then I can just access the account they made on my PC and change the info to my own to make it my personal account. Thank you.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @uac9000.

Doing that would violate the license terms, which prohibit transferring the application to another user. Also, the purchased application is registered to the email address of the purchaser, and you can't change that.

They could email affinity@serif.com and purchase a redemption code, and send you the code. You could then redeem it from the Affinity Store and download the application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

47 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @uac9000.

Doing that would violate the license terms, which prohibit transferring the application to another user. Also, the purchased application is registered to the email address of the purchaser, and you can't change that.

They could email affinity@serif.com and purchase a redemption code, and send you the code. You could then redeem it from the Affinity Store and download the application.

Alright, thank you for explaining, for future reference, are there any specific gift cards that Affinity will or will not take that could be bought as one more means of buying it as a gift?

You're welcome.

I'll have to defer to one of the Serif staff to answer about gift cards.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
On 9/18/2020 at 7:49 PM, uac9000 said:

Alright, thank you for explaining, for future reference, are there any specific gift cards that Affinity will or will not take that could be bought as one more means of buying it as a gift?

I am not entirely sure what this means?

Assuming you are referring a gift card for payment like a pre-paid card, then most likely not. Pre-paid cards can only be spent in the country of issue. We are based in the UK where pre-paid cards are not as common as they are in somewhere like the US, but if you have a pre-paid card that was issued in the UK then give it a go, at worst the payment will be declined. When ordering for someone else though, ensure that you use the email address of the recipient as it cannot be changed after the order has been confirmed.

If you are referring to gift cards like you see at the end of aisles at supermarkets, like iTunes, or Amazon gift cards then no, we do not have an "Affinity Gift Card" that can be purchased and spent through our site.

As helpfully mentioned by Walt above, we can arrange for you to place an order for a redemption code which you can then pass on to allow the recipient to create their own account and claim the app through our site.

If this is something you would like to do, please email our Customer Service team (affinity@serif.com).

Unfortunately no longer offer redemption codes. The only way to do this currently would be to place an order using their name and email address but your payment details, however this method is only possible if the recipient does not already have an Affinity Store account.

Any spelling or grammatical errors found in the above post are deliberate and included to boost the self-esteem of those who spot them.

59 minutes ago, StevenS said:

I am not entirely sure what this means?

Assuming you are referring a gift card for payment like a pre-paid card, then most likely not. Pre-paid cards can only be spent in the country of issue. We are based in the UK where pre-paid cards are not as common as they are in somewhere like the US, but if you have a pre-paid card that was issued in the UK then give it a go, at worst the payment will be declined. When ordering for someone else though, ensure that you use the email address of the recipient as it cannot be changed after the order has been confirmed.

If you are referring to gift cards like you see at the end of aisles at supermarkets, like iTunes, or Amazon gift cards then no, we do not have an "Affinity Gift Card" that can be purchased and spent through our site.

As helpfully mentioned by Walt above, we can arrange for you to place an order for a redemption code which you can then pass on to allow the recipient to create their own account and claim the app through our site.

If this is something you would like to do, please email our Customer Service team (affinity@serif.com).

I saw on another thread that you can gift to people by means of a prepaid card, and I wanted to know if there were any specific cards that were or weren't allowed in case I went that route, but I think emailing CS and asking for the redemption code will work just fine. Thanks for the help.