You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Removing yellow color cast in Affinity Photo

I have a studio portrait shot against white background and there is a slight yellowish color cast at the edges of a picture.

No I'm trying to get rid of the yellow color with a Affinity Photo but I have a little exprience and have no glue where to start?

Any ideas? 

• Staff

Hi Koati,

Welcome to the Forums :)

Would it be possible for you to attach the picture in question so that I can get a better understanding of your issue?

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

The problem is that yellowish color in the background that is supposed to be all white, especially at the bottom of the picture. Now I can't figure out how to remove or replace that yellow color cast in Affinity Photo.

post-17187-0-88013200-1440168559_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi Koati,

I have just had a play around with the Colour Replacement Tool and it has worked perfectly. If you are unsure of how to use this tool there is a section on it in the inbuilt help within the program accessible by going to Help > Affinity Photo Help and search for Replacing colours by brush. I have included my results achieved using this tool below. I hope this helps :)

C

post-12469-0-26219400-1440170212_thumb.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Koati, to me the cast is still visible elsewhere on the picture. Removing a cast from the whole picture is best achieved by using a white balance adjustment layer where one can set a white point in the image and it will adjust the colour balance of the complete image. You can try clicking in the yellowish bottom of your picture and see if you like the result. If not, delete the layer and try again by clicking in a different yellow spot (darker or lighter) and eventually you'll find the perfect spot. Hope it helps.

hi,  

with this image i would not use any of the suggested tools but would use  "selective color adjustments" ( as an adjustment layer set to blend mode color )  instead to correct this WB problem in an easy and fast way.

select whites,  make the main adjustment then switch to neutrals for a better overall color balance.  done.

( as an option to fine tune the result use advanced blending options to limit the effect to the brighter tones ) 

post-6494-0-90209500-1440333673_thumb.png

• 1 year later...

Using an HSL adjustment layer is the ideal way of removing overall color casts.

Note: the HSL color space is what many advanced Photoshop users prefer to use to remove color casts -- with AP there is no need to change color space: just add an HSL adjustment layer!

Michael

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2015 at 8:19 AM, csp said:
On 8/21/2015 at 11:17 AM, Callum said:

Hi Koati,

I have just had a play around with the Colour Replacement Tool and it has worked perfectly. If you are unsure of how to use this tool there is a section on it in the inbuilt help within the program accessible by going to Help > Affinity Photo Help and search for Replacing colours by brushI have included my results achieved using this tool below. I hope this helps :)

C

post-12469-0-26219400-1440170212_thumb.png

Hi, 
In the "Help" article that you referenced, it referred to the Colour Replacement Brush Tool. I went through every brush tool on my toolbar and popped every triangle and I couldn't find any tool called  a Colour Replacement Brush Tool.  Where has it been hidden?

thanks,

lettergothic

5 minutes ago, lettergothic said:

Hi, 
In the "Help" article that you referenced, it referred to the Colour Replacement Brush Tool. I went through every brush tool on my toolbar and popped every triangle and I couldn't find any tool called  a Colour Replacement Brush Tool.  Where has it been hidden?

thanks,

lettergothic

Hi,
I found it! It was hidden under a non-brush icon, the pixel tool. The article said to select a  foreground as a replacement. I'm not trying to change something from red to green. I'm looking to get rid color-casted dirty white. If I select white, would that produce a blinding white which wouldn't match the rest of the relatively uncasted dirty white bg?

thanks

lettergothic