You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spray Brushes From Previous Versions - Photo

There once existed a range of spray brushes which were integral to the Affinity Photo Suite. However, since the last update and even further back, these spray brushes have suddenly gone. I used to use the spray '8' brush (now completely missing) constantly in some of my work and I find that the spray category is no longer included in the brush list but has now merged with spray and splatter brushes. What has happened to these original spray brushes and is there any way that I can get them back?

The supplied link is an old conversation I had with someone using the same set of brushes. This is for real reference in support that at one time they really did exist.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/84064-timelapse-of-making-artwork/&tab=comments#comment-443392

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

The Pixel Persona of Designer had a "Spray-Paint" brush category back in 1.6 that included Spray 8. I don't know if Photo included them, or not, but as they're raster brushes they would work in either application.

They were removed by Serif in 1.7. You should be able to find them via the Dropbox link in this post:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The Pixel Persona of Designer had a "Spray-Paint" brush category back in 1.6 that included Spray 8. I don't know if Photo included them, or not, but as they're raster brushes they would work in either application.

They were removed by Serif in 1.7. You should be able to find them via the Dropbox link in this post:

I have those painting brushes but they are not the spray brush set I am referring to. The spray brush set was part and parcel of the original photo suite; this is more a question aimed at the staff and I hope they will now what happened to them.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

6 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

I have those painting brushes but they are not the spray brush set I am referring to. The spray brush set was part and parcel of the original photo suite; this is more a question aimed at the staff and I hope they will now what happened to them.

Then possibly you want the 1.7 brushes that disappeared in 1.8.

You can find those (and an explanation) in Affinity Spotlight: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/get-legacy-affinity-brushes/

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Then possibly you want the 1.7 brushes that disappeared in 1.8.

You can find those (and an explanation) in Affinity Spotlight: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/get-legacy-affinity-brushes/

Thanks Walt, you hit the jackpot!

How do you people know these things? - I was clueless.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

How do you people know these things?

I do not know how Walt does it. I just memorized all his answers so as to give me the appearance of vast knowledge. [smiley face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.