You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion on Snapping Candidates

(I searched and did not see this exactly. Pardon me if already discussed)

For a good while I couldn't figure out why Objects were showing a distracting purple line over all strokes. I finally figured out that it was the Snapping Candidate feature. This led me to thinking that there may be a better way that is less off-putting for new users. 

Why not show Snapping Candidates only when you have something selected? Presumably we don't need to see that until we go to move something, right? It would be nice (and intuitive) to get a clean view of your Artboard by just selecting nothing. I can't think of why I need to see Snapping Candidates when nothing is selected. Especially when hovering with, say, the pen tool, reveals the snapping. 

I might be just missing the point of showing snapping candidates. So, I'm open to hearing the rationale. If there is a good one, maybe the option should just be turned off by default to avoid confusion and frustration with new users. I'd be surprised if I was the only one who felt this way before finding the answer.

Thanks

If you don't like this option (I must admit I never use it) just untick the box in the snapping options.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

49 minutes ago, ThatMikeGuy said:

I might be just missing the point of showing snapping candidates. So, I'm open to hearing the rationale. If there is a good one, maybe the option should just be turned off by default to avoid confusion and frustration with new users. I'd be surprised if I was the only one who felt this way before finding the answer

I may want to snap to two objects out of the dozens in the document. If there are several things close to what I want to snap to I can zoom in and select the ones I want to snap to and then zoom out to do my drawing. It is a rarely used thing but quite handy when I do need it.

53 minutes ago, ThatMikeGuy said:

Why not show Snapping Candidates only when you have something selected? Presumably we don't need to see that until we go to move something, right?

I use snapping to assist with drawing as well as moving.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:33 AM, Old Bruce said:

I may want to snap to two objects out of the dozens in the document. If there are several things close to what I want to snap to I can zoom in and select the ones I want to snap to and then zoom out to do my drawing. It is a rarely used thing but quite handy when I do need it.

I use snapping to assist with drawing as well as moving.

Hmm. I tried out your scenario. I guess I can see how that might be helpful. However, I do notice that the highlighting comes on when you hover with your pen. So that could still be there when it's needed. My main concern is how I might not have been the only newb who was stumbling on this feature. If it only showed up when you either select something to move or when you have the pen tool and hover, it might be a bit more user friendly. As it is, I wonder if it isn't more frustrating than useful for new users. It sure was for me. 

It's just something for the Devs to keep an eye on when user testing and maybe tweak. I'm not suggesting in any way that it be removed.