You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem creating new topics (Split)

Forget current topic Subject.  I cannot create any new topic, all grayed out. I am signed in to my account.

Question: Is AP jumping from 1.8.4 to Beta 1.9.0, macOS?  What happened to 1.8.5 upgrade for macOS?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

17 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Question: Is AP jumping from 1.8.4 to Beta 1.9.0, macOS?  What happened to 1.8.5 upgrade for macOS?

There was no 1.8.5 for MacOS as it was not needed. It existed on Windows solely to fix some Windows-specific usability issues that were created by 1.8.4.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There was no 1.8.5 for MacOS as it was not needed. It existed on Windows solely to fix some Windows-specific usability issues that were created by 1.8.4.

Hoping to get a fix for Apple Photos problem, over 18 months has passed without a fix.  I don’t think I or many will purchase 2.0 without a proven and tested fix.

Do you know why most of the Create new Topic are grayed out?  May not be a problem for others but except Tutorial area, all were grayed out on iPadOS.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

4 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Do you know why most of the Create new Topic are grayed out?  May not be a problem for others but except Tutorial area, all were grayed out on iPadOS.

Gray does not necessarily mean "inactive". Can you provide a screenshot? Did you try clicking on one of the Create Topic links? (If topic creation is not allowed, there won't be a link/button to click at all, in my experience with these forums.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Gray does not necessarily mean "inactive". Can you provide a screenshot? Did you try clicking on one of the Create Topic links? (If topic creation is not allowed, there won't be a link/button to click at all, in my experience with these forums.)

Grayed out may not indicate “inactive”; however, I cannot click on any to create new topic.  I wanted to create New Topic to ask question concerning AP going from 1.8.4 to Beta 1.90.  As stated above, the Apple Photos problems, for me, still does not allow me to save changes.  I can export to different HD location or Share, but not back to Apple Photos, causes error notice.  This has been confirmed for over a year by moderators, no fix.

E02E1E94-DE6C-4B11-B3A1-696908ACD6C9.jpeg

Cecil 

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

Please don't suggest that anyone should do that. The problem I am having has nothing to do with the version of any Affinity app, only with how slowly the Safari browser displays graphics included in forum posts, be they pngs, videos, or whatever, regardless of the software used to create or post them to this forum..

It is the same when I use any version of the Safari browser installed on any of my Macs or on my iPad. This would suggest to me that there is something about the forum software itself that is causing this, except that as best as I can tell, nobody else has reported experiencing the same problem. That suggests there may be some setting I can change to eliminate it, so I am hoping someone knows what that might be & will be kind enough to mention it in a reply.

That is why I started this topic.

I agree, however if unable to create a new Topic and the 1.9.0 Beta release closed for comments, I had no means to communicate my problem. I posted a screenshot on the grayed out subjects to post new Topics.

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

Grayed out may not indicate “inactive”; however, I cannot click on any to create new topic.

The ones that are displayed in gray in your screenshot are top-level forums (perhaps categories) in which you cannot create topics. Click on the expansion arrow to see the actual forums where you can create topics. E.g., clicking on the arrow here:

image.png.db87d7792e8228f9030f3896f5c5d009.png

will give you this, where you can select one of the forums I've highlighted:

image.png.a590d2a2d3e3cceeacaa1a7651453dd3.png

-- Walt
PC:

@Cecil: The above should explain your issue with creating topics (including in the beta forums if you want). Additionally, rather than starting from Home and having to pick a forum from that list, you can navigate to the forum you want to post in, and use the Start Topic button at the top of that forum.

-- Walt
PC:

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

@Cecil: The above should explain your issue with creating topics (including in the beta forums if you want). Additionally, rather than starting from Home and having to pick a forum from that list, you can navigate to the forum you want to post in, and use the Start Topic button at the top of that forum.

Walt thank you for your replies.  I do understand the procedures and posted many new Topics in the past.  Safari, iPadOS 14.0 update, was just ugly yesterday as it works today.  I did, yesterday, try the expansion arrow o (categoriesj many times.

Cecil 

3 hours ago, Cecil said:

I agree, however if unable to create a new Topic and the 1.9.0 Beta release closed for comments, I had no means to communicate my problem.

I am not sure what you mean about the 1.9.0 Beta release being closed for comments. See for example https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/19-photo-beta-on-mac/ or https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/123981-affinity-photo-customer-beta-190196/ 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The thread that announced the release of the Beta.  Initially, I could not create a new Topic or find one I thought addressed the problem.  I saw your conversation about Safari and posted.  It just caught me off guard jumping from 1.8.4 to 1.90.  

Cecil