You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Migrate from Mac to Windows

• 2 months later...
On 9/18/2020 at 6:17 AM, SFurniss said:

@Thomas St. Pierre You need to buy a separate Windows version to install on Windows or a Mac version to install on the Mac. Each version is purchased independently and each has its own licenses. It would not be possible to swap from one to the other.

This is really not an acceptable solution, is it?

I just bought a Mac which is in addition to my PC.  Without exception, ALL of the other software I use that has a licence transferred without a problem and I can use it on both.  This includes Davinci Resolve, Aurora HDR, Luminar 4,  PTGui and a host of others.  This is quite literally the only one that doesn't allow that which I have come across so far.

I moved away from Adobe because I liked their software but hated their business practices.  This is one of those moments.  I've recommended your software to many people in the past, but will not do so anymore until this changes.

8 hours ago, Barry Houldsworth said:

This includes Davinci Resolve, Aurora HDR, Luminar 4,  PTGui and a host of others.

Let's consider that:

• Davinci Resolve is $295
  • Aurora HDR is $99 for up to 5 computers
  • Luminar 4 is $69 for 1 computer (or available in a 2 computer bundle with Aurora HDR for $149)
  • PTGui is $153 or $309 for up to 3 computers

And each Affinity application is $49.99 (or right now, with the sale $34.99) for an unlimited number of computers running one OS family (Windows, or MacOS).

So, even buying 2 licenses for an Affinity application, one for Windows and one for MacOS, it's normally $100 total (or right now $75). Those 2 licenses are less expensive than 1 license for Davinci Resolve, or PTGui, or the Luminar 4/Aurora HDR bundle, and they cover use on more computers than any of those other products.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Let's consider that:

• Davinci Resolve is $295
  • Aurora HDR is $99 for up to 5 computers
  • Luminar 4 is $69 for 1 computer (or available in a 2 computer bundle with Aurora HDR for $149)
  • PTGui is $153 or $309 for up to 3 computers

And each Affinity application is $49.99 (or right now, with the sale $34.99) for an unlimited number of computers running one OS family (Windows, or MacOS).

So, even buying 2 licenses for an Affinity application, one for Windows and one for MacOS, it's normally $100 total (or right now $75). Those 2 licenses are less expensive than 1 license for Davinci Resolve, or PTGui, or the Luminar 4/Aurora HDR bundle, and they cover use on more computers than any of those other products.

Walt,

Thanks for the thoughtful and fair response. 

A couple of caveats. 

• Davinci is free unless you need the Studio version - which 90% of users don't  I used it for 2 years before I upgraded.  And you can't compare DR and Affinity.  DR is significantly more sophisticated so that $295 one time price is (IMHO) a steal.  That's like comparing a Ferrari with a Ford Taurus.  
  • I didn't pay any of those prices quoted (other than DR) as they (like this one) were all on sale at various points - most were about 1/2 to 2/3rds of that.  

I have seen responses to similar posts saying it was the fault of the Apple store and their policies. Clearly that is not the case as others manage to deal with it.  If you're going to say "We think it is cheap enough to buy twice", then say that.  

But, I take your point.  It is good value for money.  But who likes to buy something twice?

That said - thank you for the reminder it is on sale - I just (re) bought it and, given that value for money, I will continue to recommend...just with a caveat to be aware of the double buy if using on multiple machines.

1 hour ago, Barry Houldsworth said:

.just with a caveat to be aware of the double buy if using on multiple machines.

You're welcome.

And please note that it is "if using on multiple machines of different platforms (Mac vs Windows vs iPad)"

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, Barry Houldsworth said:

This is really not an acceptable solution, is it?

I just bought a Mac which is in addition to my PC.  Without exception, ALL of the other software I use that has a licence transferred without a problem and I can use it on both.  This includes Davinci Resolve, Aurora HDR, Luminar 4,  PTGui and a host of others.  This is quite literally the only one that doesn't allow that which I have come across so far.

I moved away from Adobe because I liked their software but hated their business practices.  This is one of those moments.  I've recommended your software to many people in the past, but will not do so anymore until this changes.

Well you do know that going in if you look at the nitty gritty details, which of course no one does, I know I certainly would not, but it is there. It does seem a bit "old fashioned" in the software world I agree but not unreasonable especially for very inexpensive yet powerful software. 

10 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Well you do know that going in if you look at the nitty gritty details, which of course no one does, I know I certainly would not, but it is there. It does seem a bit "old fashioned" in the software world I agree but not unreasonable especially for very inexpensive yet powerful software. 

That would, of course, assume that one planned on owning a PC and Mac at the time of purchase, which I certainly did not.  If you had told me even just a few weeks ago that I would be buying a Mac soon I would have laughed out loud.  

Agree that it is powerful and inexpensive.  I've already said that in reply to Walt and walked back my probably harsh comment.  I still maintain that no one wants to buy twice thought :)