You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add % as a way to resize

It is true that you cannot set the units to percent, but you can easily enter the desired percentage in either the width of height box. Unfortunately this will not work for macros.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

You can already resize by percentage by entering the "%" into the size fields - ex. "50%" to scale to half size.

That much makes sense given that percentage is not really a unit.

The problem in your case is that the calculation is performed immediately and the actual number substituted, which makes it not work very well if trying to code something for a batch operation which may need to deal with varied image sizes.

I think the real requirement if you need to do this is not to add it to the menu, but to retain the expressions when they are entered and store those instead of the numeric values as part of the macro used for batch processing.

Curiously, the feature on the New Batch Job window does allow you to enter percentages and expressions, but they don't actually work.  When I try to enter a percentage this way it doesn't complain but it silently ignores the request and simply exports as full size:

image.png.6a6a5d1bed8975320466b8a9468f67dd.png

Clearly there is a bug in that somewhere, but it is not clear if the bug is that it doesn't complain about the % character or other expression format when it is not supported, or if the bug is that it should be working and doesn't...

5 hours ago, fde101 said:

Curiously, the feature on the New Batch Job window does allow you to enter percentages and expressions, but they don't actually work.  When I try to enter a percentage this way it doesn't complain but it silently ignores the request and simply exports as full size:

Well that would've solved the issue wouldn't have it? haha.

Unfortunately the entire batch window is slightly bugged. There are many times it has simply not performed the macros I've included. I usually have to do 1 macro at a time for a batch of photos, instead of it performing all of them in the list as intended.

5 hours ago, fde101 said:

You can't use % values in the batch window but you can use expressions such as w/2 to give you 50% etc etc etc

See this thread for more information as there be gremlins

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

Yes, w/2 works as does w*.5 - I wonder what I messed up earlier when I tried an expression like that there

It's case sensitive which will catch a lot of people out.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 9/18/2020 at 7:52 AM, carl123 said:

You can't use % values in the batch window but you can use expressions such as w/2 to give you 50% etc etc etc

Well that basically solves the issue. Wish it was a bit more intuitive but I don't need PS/Bridge anymore for these macros I've been using. Unreal how slow batch processing is in PS compared to Affinity. Affinity can process hundreds of photos within seconds and photoshop needs to open each file individually. Pathetic haha