You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Graphics in forum posts loading painfully slowly when using the Safari browser

If you try the developer website link I have posted, and call the forum page, you can see for each element of that page how fast it is loading. Maybe it works the same if you call the URL of slow content, have not tested it.

The good thing it is build to show how a website performs in delivering content, so it measures the time until content is made available. If the problem rests with the forum rather than your own setup, you will see it there.

Apart from that I would point to the TC, since it is a piece of good but already aged network technology. I run only managed Switches and a Synology NAS, since it allows for better control of what happens in my home network. I love my Mac, but the Apple approach to networks is too restricted for my ability to set everything up my way.

2 hours ago, Blende21 said:

If you try the developer website link I have posted, and call the forum page, you can see for each element of that page how fast it is loading. Maybe it works the same if you call the URL of slow content, have not tested it.

Maybe I am being particularly slow-witted today but I am not quite sure what you mean by the developer website link or where I can see how quickly each element is loading. If you mean one of tyhe items on the Develop menu, could you tell me which one it is & maybe what tab or setting I need to use with it to see load times? I must admit I am not too familiar with any of the more complex developer menu options.

Regarding the TC being the source of my problem, I am not sure how that by itself could explain why it is only this forum's pages I have problems with. I would think it would affect all web pages with inline graphics content but as I said that does not happen.

Regardless, I do plan on replacing the TC at some point but my budget for new equipment purchases was already beyond maxed out by the new iMac purchase so it will be well into the next year before I can even consider that. We also need new iPhones so that will take priority over a new router unless it fails.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well, you copy an URL you want to analyze. You open that page:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

There is a field where you can enter any URL you want to analyze. You click on analyze, and the analytics page will call the URL posted, and give a result. It will tell how fast the reaction was compared to other pages in the web, which page elements braked down the page, and what could be done to speed things up. 

This will tell you if the delivery of the page To the Internet is slow, or if the problem is with your setup or software. If a page is delivered fast in general (which this analysis is testing), but slow with you, you know the problem is local. If a page is slow in itself, maybe your fast equipment is just idle waiting for the web site to be delivered.

I have used the URL of this page to test it, and the Forum got a bad overall ranking:

8EA5925B-0CBC-4A3B-B567-3721D7FBB37C.thumb.jpeg.94c781e205b8d64fb54c87d40c23f9a1.jpeg

Apart from that: A good router is in the 150-200$/€ - Range, at least for a consumer product. If you go for a new WiFi6-Router maybe 250-300$/€. It speeds up everything you do. I agree that IT equipment is expensive (especially if from a fruit shop), but the Router is among the less expensive components.

My router is a top of the line model rented from my ISP for a small (5€) monthly fee, and I have bought a repeater to improve my WiFi by setting up a mesh network. Maybe your ISP is renting Routers as well, so not a significant investment needed. If you have got one from your ISP and it is old, maybe it is just a phone call to get it replaced by a new one free of charge.

To all: I welcome, appreciate, & consider all your suggestions but please remember what I have said about the nature of the problem I am having with Safari.

It is only in topics in the Affinity forums with posts that include either large (high pixel count) images or large/long videos that I see these painfully long load times, & only those page elements that load slowly. The page itself, including all text, the forum headers, user avatars & post counts, etc. loads very quickly (usually in less than a second).

I do not see this with any other site, including those that include mixed text & dozens of large images on a single web page. Particularly after switching to the 1.1.1.1 DNS servers, for all practical purposes these web pages begin loading instantaneously (within a few tens of milliseconds after I click on a URL) & with few exceptions all of their content loads within a second or two, or as quickly as I can scroll down the page to see all of it. Even when it takes longer for everything to load, the total time required is much, much shorter than for these forum pages.

Since (AFAIK) all forum page content is coming from the same source (forum.affinity.serif.com/uploads/) & all the pages begin loading just as quickly as from other sites, many of the fixes mentioned in the articles that have been linked to seem irrelevant (because they are intended to fix delays that occur due to slow DNS response times). As best as I can tell, that is not an issue for me.

I am not sure what to make of the Google insights thing. For example, it gives page one of this topic a very poor ranking of 11 & page two an even worse one of 8 yet for me both pages load in far less than a second, start to finish. I tried it with a variety of pages from other sites I regularly connect to, all of which also load in far less than a second, & it gives them very low scores as well, some even lower than for either page of this topic. So I don't know what it is analyzing but it does not seem to have any correlation with the page load times I see.

As for the new router suggestion, if I was seeing poor page load time performance elsewhere then I would consider replacing it, but since it is only with certain Affinity forum topics that I am seeing this, & with everything else it performs exceedingly well, I can't see any justification for replacing it. I do not need a repeater or mesh network here. The TC alone does very well in this respect, much better than the radios built into my cable router (which is why I turned off all its radios & use it only as an access point to feed the TC). FWIW, the cable box is a rental, the best one my ISP offers. Because we subscribe to a bundled package of several ISP services, the rental fee is effectively zero.

In short, everything works great except loading certain forum page content when using Safari. I am convinced the cause of this must be something local to my equipment but what that something might plausibly be remains a mystery.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am not sure what to make of this but as of about 3 am this morning local time every new forum topic I have viewed loads start to finish in no more than 2-3 seconds, including graphics-heavy ones like the ones that previously were loading very slowly.

I have changed nothing in the Safari, router, or any other settings on my Macs, my iPad, or any other device in the house. Nothing has been restarted; AFAIK everything here is exactly as it was when I wrote my last post above.

I have not yet browsed any new topic with a large & long video in it, just several with lots of static images, so it is possible I will still see the issue with them, but barring that it seems like this issue has somehow fixed itself.

Weirder & weirder!

I spoke too soon. When I open https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/124146-publisher-unlinking-text-box-in-a-book/&tab=comments#comment-680729 the graphics load very slowly. 😞

Affinity Photo 

On 9/22/2020 at 6:05 AM, R C-R said:

I am not sure what to make of this but as of about 3 am this morning local time every new forum topic I have viewed loads start to finish in no more than 2-3 seconds, including graphics-heavy ones like the ones that previously were loading very slowly.

I have changed nothing in the Safari, router, or any other settings on my Macs, my iPad, or any other device in the house. Nothing has been restarted; AFAIK everything here is exactly as it was when I wrote my last post above.

I have not yet browsed any new topic with a large & long video in it, just several with lots of static images, so it is possible I will still see the issue with them, but barring that it seems like this issue has somehow fixed itself.

Weirder & weirder!

I spoke too soon. When I open https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/124146-publisher-unlinking-text-box-in-a-book/&tab=comments#comment-680729 the graphics load very slowly. 😞

Do you have the same problem with your iPad? 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

54 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Do you have the same problem with your iPad? 

No. But now everything in that 'unlinking-text-box' topic including the videos is fully rendered/ready to play on my iMac as soon as I click on that forum page link in my post above (no delay at all). I used HandOff to open this topic page on my iPad, & then tapped on the link in my post above to open that topic. I see the same thing there -- everything is rendered/ready to play on the iPad, too.

I am not sure what to make of that. It almost implies that everything was loaded in the background on the iMac, even after I had closed that page before all of it could load, & somehow somewhere it is cached in a local location that both the iMac & iPad could access without having to download anything more from the forum ... or something.

Maybe it would have been different if the iMac & iPad had not been connected via BlueTooth when I tried this but even after I briefly turned off BlueTooth on the iMac (temporarily disabling my wireless keyboard) & reloaded the 'unlinking-text-box' topic on the iPad, the delay there was still zero, I suppose implying that it was cached there as well?

At this point I think I need to make a list of forum topic URLs that load slowly on the iMac as I encounter them, & once I get more than a few of them, email that to myself so I can access them on the iPad with the iMac shut down, & see what happens. It is either that or just give up & live with it before it drives me totally bonkers.

Affinity Photo 

When I connected my iPad Pro,, by USB vs. Bluetooth, I received notification that I had to update my iMac.  I think iPadOS 14 Safari changes needed to be updated with my iMac Safari.  It took just a few seconds, <30 to update.  I normally or never use iPad with iMac, unless I’m using SideCar.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection