You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No warning on files without a profile

sb101

I tried many combinations in the preferences,

but opening eg. an untagged png file generates no warning and is converted to srgb

(+ a feature request: "assign icc profile" and "convert" with icc profile...

shoud have an "preview" button, to be able to see the result before converting)

greets

s.

20 minutes ago, sb101 said:

saving an untagged image afaik is currently not possible (so the saved file has again no profile)

Have you tried clicking on More... during Export and turning off the option to embed the ICC profile?

image.png.a7c2f63d2716417fdea17993e8a57870.png

Edit: Hmm. I just tried that, and apparently Affinity Photo still embeds color profile information even when that option is turned off.

Edit 2: No, with the option off the profile name is put into the file, but the profile itself is not. With the option on, both the profile name and the profile are added to the output file.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

40 minutes ago, sb101 said:

opening eg. an untagged png file generates no warning and is converted to srgb

Can you supply a sample file?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks. I think your file survived the upload to the forum without modification (it's can help, for some issues, to zip a JPG image to make sure the forum software and/or browser doesn't modify the image).

When I download it and run exiftool I see no tagging for the color profile. And Photo does not warn me that it's untagged when I Open it, even though I have requested the warnings. So I agree that something seems wrong in the processing that Photo does.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hey sb101,

I might be wrong but I thought PNG's did not have embedded colour profiles so there's no conversion but from your first post, you're stating that you'd like to see, as a feature request, we inform the user that we are assigning a profile and also, when converting, we get a preview? 

So you aren't reporting a bug per se?

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

but I thought PNG's

Funny. So APhoto could force them to have one? In PS CS6 there is no possibility to embed a colour profile. If you have a look at the attached JPG 4 posts ago, which is without a profile, open it with APhoto and you get no warning although "Warn when assigning working profile to unprofiled files" is checked in preferences. And although I had convert unchecked the file is converted to sRGB.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I might be wrong but I thought PNG's did not have embedded colour profiles

Embedding the ICC profile is one of the More... options when exporting a PNG from Affinity. If PNG files can't have an embedded color profile, perhaps that should be removed?

Next, the Color Preference in Affinity is to warn when assigning the working profile to "unprofiled" files. It is unclear to me whether this means:

1. FIles without an embedded color profile; or
  2. Files without a color tag.

#2 seems more likely to me, as a file can be tagged as, e.g., sRGB ISO-whatever or as ROMM-RGB whether or not it has the profile actually embedded. Or it can be untagged. Only in the case where it's untagged would Affinity need to assign a profile, unless the user's Color Preferences also included "convert to working space".

-- Walt
PC:

Hi all,

afaik it's a bug, as there is NO warning at all when opening untagged files.
(png was just an example. it's the same with jpg, tiff etc.)

"warning"-example and solutions:

image.png.352a392389190ed2af9815ff6f6b91b1.png

document: image.png.afa7ca9cd7967ebbe59b1b7aa2fe47e2.png (rgb without tags)

(eg. working on with no 'color management'. saving untagged images (eg. manipulalting bitmaps) should also be possible. as walt said, afaik that's currently not possible.)

the feat. request is a "preview" when in the list of profiles (convert or assign) (as in softproof***).
most time you use simple cursor up/down to assign/reassign/convert a scanner file or find the correct profile ...

in softproof mode there is a live preview. for very large files there should be a checkbox (preview: on/off) in all such gui-dialogs ...

***softproof)
as posted in

I don't get the expected results here ...

greets, thx

s

• Staff
2 hours ago, anon2 said:

PNG supports an embedded profile.

I've read mixed things on the Internet. 

I think the main point here is why Affinity Photo did not notify us when assigning a profile to a untagged image, which has been logged for development to look at. 

14 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I've read mixed things on the Internet.

You can trust this - https://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-PNG-20031110/#11iCCP

27 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I think the main point here is why Affinity Photo did not notify us when assigning a profile to a untagged image, which has been logged for development to look at. 

Yes, of course, but I was responding to your statement: "I might be wrong but I thought PNG's did not have embedded colour profiles".

1 hour ago, sb101 said:

> I think the main point here is why Affinity Photo did not notify us when assigning a profile to a untagged image, which has been logged for development to look at. 

yes that's the point. a popup should give a bunch of possible solutions as above ...

greets

s

At a minimum, there should be an alert stating that sRGB has been assumed in the absence of an embedded profile in a PNG or JPEG. This was suggested two or three years ago.