You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Brush size/Stroke width when selecting a new brush.

Is there any way to lock the brush size when changing brushes? There have been a few instances recently where I've created a drawing using curves, or imported an SVG from Blender, and then wanted to apply a brush to the curve(s) retrospectively. Selecting a new brush sets the stroke width to that set in the brush settings. Doing this with a group overrides any difference in the stroke widths within the group. This is especially frustrating when experimenting with different brush styles as each selection then requires and adjustment of the stroke width to something acceptable. Invariably all the brush sizes are too large for the designs I'm working on. Am I doing this wrong or is this just the way it works?

1 hour ago, Paul Mc said:

Am I doing this wrong or is this just the way it works?

You are not doing anything wrong, it may be that you have high expectations, too high, of how this could work. You could try and set up a set of brushes making them the 'correct' size and apply them. The new 1.9.0.x betas have the ability to select curves by stroke width so you could choose them that way and apply the brushes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

4 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

... it may be that you have high expectations, too high, of how this could work

Thank you @Old Bruce. If you draw a curve you can then set/adjust the stroke width either via the tool or the curve properties. It is then an attribute of the tool or curve rather than that of the brush pattern. Therefore, it's not an unreasonable expectation (IMHO) that if you change the brush pattern it preserves the stroke width previously set on the brush tool or the curve. Maybe there's a good software reason for this but from a UI/UX perspective I feel that it's not very intuitive.

Thanks for confirming that this is just how it works. I will check out the beta and see if there is anything new there that helps.

• 2 years later...