You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thumbnails in RAW development

Hi @sonyfreak, welcome to the forums!

This has been discussed previously on numerous other threads.

This is unlikely to ever find its way into Affinity Photo as it is the wrong model for this type of application.

There has been previous discussion on the possibility of Serif developing a DAM or RAW development type of application which would be the appropriate place for this, but there are conflicting reports on whether or not they are currently working on one or what the plans are in this area.  At different times Serif team members were either saying that they were not working on one, while at others they were.

In any case, if you have an immediate need for such an application I would suggest looking at one of the other existing solutions for now (Capture One you already mentioned, there are also DXO Photo Lab, On1 Photo RAW, darktable and numerous others floating around).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 5:22 AM, fde101 said:

Hi @sonyfreak, welcome to the forums!

This has been discussed previously on numerous other threads.

This is unlikely to ever find its way into Affinity Photo as it is the wrong model for this type of application.

There has been previous discussion on the possibility of Serif developing a DAM or RAW development type of application which would be the appropriate place for this, but there are conflicting reports on whether or not they are currently working on one or what the plans are in this area.  At different times Serif team members were either saying that they were not working on one, while at others they were.

In any case, if you have an immediate need for such an application I would suggest looking at one of the other existing solutions for now (Capture One you already mentioned, there are also DXO Photo Lab, On1 Photo RAW, darktable and numerous others floating around).

The challenge that many of us have when we switched from the integrated Adobe system of LR and PS is the lack of a DAM and of an integrated RAW Converter / Developer (i.e., camera raw).  So like many others I switched to Capture One Pro (C1P), the premier RAW converter / developer app.  C1P has a reasonable built-in DAM for use with C1P and image files (but not with AP).  

So far my biggest challenge is the RAW converter in C1P is SO much better than that in AP that I only use AP on RAW images if I plan to do additional edits that are not available in C1P or to do composites etc...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

3 hours ago, KC Honie said:

The challenge that many of us have when we switched from the integrated Adobe system of LR and PS is the lack of a DAM and of an integrated RAW Converter / Developer (i.e., camera raw).  So like many others I switched to Capture One Pro (C1P), the premier RAW converter / developer app.  C1P has a reasonable built-in DAM for use with C1P and image files (but not with AP).  

So far my biggest challenge is the RAW converter in C1P is SO much better than that in AP that I only use AP on RAW images if I plan to do additional edits that are not available in C1P or to do composites etc...

I generally use a different RAW developer for anything I am working on unless I am just playing with something which I don't really care about the quality of.

I will export a PNG, TIFF or PNG from the RAW developer to open it in Affinity Photo if I need to do more complex edits.

I have at different times and for different types of projects used On1 Photo RAW, DxO PhotoLab, and Capture One.  In the past I used Aperture but I have largely transitioned off of that by now.

^^^ I usually export to TIFF and open in AP.  Occasionally I will want to start from scratch in AP but the RAW Converter / Developer in C1P is much more advanced and it makes me :40_rage:

I guess I shouldn't really complain, PS and LR are excellent RAW Converters as well, but none of the rest are very good...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

• 4 weeks later...